The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2010, 09:08 PM

alatos is on a distinguished road
Default Need help with first nice setup

Hey guys. thinking about getting into more serious fly fishing for native trout up in Northern PA next year. I have a summer job, so id be willing to spend $300 max. the streams will be medium to small, with tree lined banks, and the fish pretty small too. here are the specs i want:

Lifetime warranty, quality materials

USA made products

Not fancy: reliable

I really dont know much AT ALL about fly fishing, but ill learn. any suggestions are appreciated. the combo i was thinking of was a Lamson Kronic reel with a TFO Lefty Kreh Finesse. What are your thoughts?
Old 04-09-2010, 09:23 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Need help with first nice setup

Alatos,

Welcome to the group. I hope you will continue to post keeping us appraised of your season.

Small streams = short slow action rods, Small fish = 3 - 4wt set ups, your reel sounds like a good choice but don't get into an 8' rod if you are looking at streams like Slate run.

Longer rods will be fine on the lower end of a creek like that but by the time June gets here and you are trying to work Francis Branch you'll wish you had a 6'6" rod.

If you are going to go all round and hit larger creeks like Kettle and Little Pine then an 8' medium action would be better and you will adopt to using it in tight quarters. However if you are going to fish primarily Wild Brook Trout water think Short and slow.

Were exactly are you at and where are you planning to fish?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-09-2010, 11:25 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by alatos View Post
Hey guys. thinking about getting into more serious fly fishing for native trout up in Northern PA next year. I have a summer job, so id be willing to spend $300 max. the streams will be medium to small, with tree lined banks, and the fish pretty small too. here are the specs i want:

Lifetime warranty, quality materials

USA made products

Not fancy: reliable

I really dont know much AT ALL about fly fishing, but ill learn. any suggestions are appreciated. the combo i was thinking of was a Lamson Kronic reel with a TFO Lefty Kreh Finesse. What are your thoughts?
Here is the reality. Most price point rods are going to be built in China or Korea. As much as I prefer the made in USA tackle, the offshore brands are very good for the money. There are some rods that cast better than some of their USA counterparts. With that said, there might be a gem of a rod and reel for you.

The TFO Lefty Kreh Finesse rods are designed in the USA, but built in Korea. I cannot comment on the ultra light weight models, but I have casted the 8'9" 5 weight. It is a smooth caster that feels best for dry flies. If the lighter weight models have the same feel, that could be the rod for you.

The rod series that has surprised me this year is the Redington Classic Trout. Although it is made in China, the CT has a smooth moderate action. I have had a chance to cast a 3, 4, 5, and 6 weight, and I am impressed with all of them. Like the TFO, it is more of a dry fly rod. If I am going to base my suggestion on the area you will be fishing (bushy, low overhangs, small stream, small trout), I would recommend the 7'6" 3 weight. You can check out an outfit with the Redington Drift reel and Rio Mainstream line through the site sponsor (reelflyrod.com). The outfit runs $279.

Redington products have lifetime warranties. Redington is a part of Farbank, so expect the same customer service that you would get from its sister company, Sage.

MP
Old 04-10-2010, 07:12 AM

Any good American rodes in that price range?
Old 04-10-2010, 07:44 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

You can check out the Orvis Clearwater II outfits. They range in price from 275.00 to 295.00. Come with the Batten Kill Bar Stock reels, clearwater fly line and dacron backing. The Orvis guarantee is 25yrs not lifetime. I bought two 6wts last year for client rods. I own several Orvis in addition. I've find their customer service to be great. Had rods repaired several times due accidental breakage with no questions asked.

Just worth a look in my opinion.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-10-2010, 07:59 AM

Thanks for all the replies!

---------- Post added at 05:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Alatos,

Welcome to the group. I hope you will continue to post keeping us appraised of your season.

Small streams = short slow action rods, Small fish = 3 - 4wt set ups, your reel sounds like a good choice but don't get into an 8' rod if you are looking at streams like Slate run.

Longer rods will be fine on the lower end of a creek like that but by the time June gets here and you are trying to work Francis Branch you'll wish you had a 6'6" rod.

If you are going to go all round and hit larger creeks like Kettle and Little Pine then an 8' medium action would be better and you will adopt to using it in tight quarters. However if you are going to fish primarily Wild Brook Trout water think Short and slow.

Were exactly are you at and where are you planning to fish?

Ard
To be honest, I was not really thinking of any where in specific; just a general region. Probably more so around Cowan's Gap
Old 04-10-2010, 08:35 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

The only USA made price point rod series is the Sage Vantage. The series of medium fast rods is comprised of 2 piece and 4 piece rods starting at $225 for the 2 piece 7'6" 3 weight. If you want a 4 piece, those start at $250.

If made in USA is important to you, Sage rods are designed and made in the USA. However, Sage reels are designed in USA, but they are made in Korea.

MP
Old 04-10-2010, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoscaPescador View Post
The only USA made price point rod series is the Sage Vantage. The series of medium fast rods is comprised of 2 piece and 4 piece rods starting at $225 for the 2 piece 7'6" 3 weight. If you want a 4 piece, those start at $250.

If made in USA is important to you, Sage rods are designed and made in the USA. However, Sage reels are designed in USA, but they are made in Korea.

MP

Then I guess I will probably get a Temple Fork Lefty Kreh Signature or Finesse, unless you guys have other suggestions - again I really know nothing about Fly fishing, its just I have heard good things about TFO and they have a great warranty and are not made in china.
Old 04-10-2010, 10:39 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Most St Croix rods are US made except for the Rio Santo and Imperial rods which are made in Mexico. Their Avid series retails around $250.