The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2006, 01:08 PM

cshane is on a distinguished road
Default Cache la Poudre

Has anyone fished the Poudre, west of Ft. Collins, CO? A buddy and I are planning a trip up there labor day weekend. Any tips on locations, camping and patterns would be great.
Old 08-05-2006, 05:41 AM

Mike N is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cache la Poudre

Hiya

Basically, with the Poudre head for the canyon. Avoid the first couple parking areas/pullouts as these are usually overfished. But there is a place you can camp just as you come into the canyon. As for patterns - worth checking in with the guys at JAX sporting goods - on College avenue heading north out of town. Its in the general direction you need to be heading anyway. These guys fish the Poudre practically every day its fishable so they will know.

I'll be heading back from the US to visit my folks over labour day and plan to fish the poudre myself if I can get up there.

Also, see if there is a guy called 'salmo clarki' on this forum - he hangs around on the UK forum where I am also a member and he seems to fish the Poudre a lot. send him a PM - he might give you some tips.

best

M
Old 08-10-2006, 04:04 PM

sparky is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cache la Poudre

Hi there,

I fish the Poudre quite a bit and right now the best fishing is up by the old fish hatcherie. But you can fish anywhere along there and have a good day.
Yesterday I got three nice 14-16 inchers and several small ones and only fished up to Indian Meadows.
As far as camping goes you need to be there early to get a spot and most of the campgrounds up there are first come first serve.

Good luck and happy fishing.