The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2010, 06:19 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough
Default great day out

i finaly made it to the stream today after many many weeks of being to busy with work and got chance to fish the stream behind where i'm staying i had done a quick search a week or two ago of it and saw no signs of fish but wht i considered good holding pools , i got up this morning and decided i was going to fish the stream that has been taunting me since i got here so i quickly grabbed my kit and headed down the mile walk to the stream as i was setting up on the bank i noticed some fish taking flies of the surface and realised i forgot my floatant but decided i might just be able to get away with useing a adams without floatant if i was carefull and kept it dry (not easy lol ) , on my first cast i hooked the biggest tree around loseing my flie and my tippet so tied on a dark green adams and had no luck so moved up to the next pool where i noticed some movement and spotted a few tidlers again but had no luck and could see no sign of what they were takeing so carried on up stream and noticed a hatch of small caddis sadly i had nothing that matched exactly so tied on a modified adams i had tied and cast in to the pool and bingo straight away a nice 9 inch brown i quickly snapped a pic on my phone and let it on its way and after two more casts a got another brownie but only around 6 inchs and realesed him and left the pool for the next where i got 3 one after another all under 8 inch after thesse i moved on to another where the fish were more sluggish but managed to get one around 8 inch after this i decded that i would call it a day after all i had a great day out and got to experiance my first hatch and i will be definately heading back as soon as i get chance and will rember my floatant lol
Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. sadly i couldnt get the one up of the biggest and they arent great pictures will try and get better ones next time with a proper camera
vince

Last edited by wilky; 04-25-2010 at 12:38 PM. Reason: adding pictures
Old 04-24-2010, 06:34 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo
Default Re: great day out

wilky

Nice report!! Can't wait to see some pics. Congrats on getting some water time and hookin into some fish.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 04-24-2010, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Hi Vince,

Sounds like you may have a little wild trout stream to yourself there. Better stay mum eh? Where there are 8 & 9" fish there are 12 & 13" fish. Put that floatant in your kit and watch out for that tree next time out. Now you know what to tie up and what size, you better get busy.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-24-2010, 10:06 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Vince: Good to see your fishing report, congrats on getting out and enjoying some fly fishing!

Larry
Old 04-25-2010, 03:18 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Glad you managed to go fishing Vincethat's a good report but we're all looking forward the pics
Old 04-25-2010, 12:43 PM

wilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the roughwilky is a jewel in the rough

i have already put the floatant in my vest ready lol there not great quility pics my phone hasnt got the best camera but will take my proper camera next time and will safe the hassle of messing around with a phone lol and need to get more hooks for tying them on as i run out but gives me a excuse to head to the tackle shop lol but cant wait to get back out and try some of the rivers and streams when i get back

vince
Old 04-25-2010, 12:51 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Nice little stream...how could you hook a tree Vince....can't see any around on the picthat's a real exploit!!
Old 04-25-2010, 02:26 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Great report, thanks for sharing the pictures. I look forward to hearing more experiences in this new stream you've found. Sounds like with the right pattern you'll be busy...maybe even hook into Walter.
Old 04-25-2010, 02:57 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbbfly View Post
Nice little stream...how could you hook a tree Vince....can't see any around on the picthat's a real exploit!!
That was the exact question I was going to ask... Glad you finally got out Vince; I know you have been anxious... Now tye up some of those Caddis and get back out there, and mind that tree!...

Dan
Old 04-25-2010, 04:02 PM

the trees are down stream where i started out lol, i'll most likely be heading back there next weekend if i dont have to work or i might fork out the $45 for a day on the local salmon river but think i'll stick to the little streams where its free and theres no one around lol