The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-26-2010, 08:10 AM

gbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nice
Default Where to trout fish early June?

I am looking for ideas as to where to go trout fishing in the Rocky Mountains in early June. And avoid runoff. In previous years we have been to the Bighorn, Frying Pan and of course, the San Juan which is near where we live.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:22 AM

hopperfishing is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Where to trout fish early June?

If your thinking about fishing in Montana, check out the Missouri R., Beaverhead, and Big Hole. The Missouri is prime in early June. Beaverhead also fishes very well and the Big Hole usually clears up in early June and offers some fantastic salmonfly opportunities.
Old 04-26-2010, 10:24 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

You also have the Blue River in Silverthorne and the Yampa below Stagecoach Reservoir just south of Steamboat Springs, CO. You definitely have some good tailwater opportunities.

Larry
Old 04-26-2010, 03:01 PM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

White River System in Northern Arkansas

The issue in June is... The output from the dams might be high becuase of spring rains. Other than that they are not generating lots of power in June because of it being spring so flow could be nice. And in June you are ahead of the Canoe hatches.
Old 04-26-2010, 09:57 PM

mtflyfishguide will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to mtflyfishguide

Fish out of Missoula Montana, we have 3 free stone rivers here and they will be clear , Rockl Creek, West Fork / Bitteroot, and the Balckfoot. The Mo is also an option just east of Missoula 1/1/2 hours. Stoneflys, Mothers days caddis, these rivers are awesome in late May and June
Brooks Montana Fly Fishing, Missoula Montana, Montana Fly Fishing for Trout. Classic Journey Outfitters.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:46 PM

gbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nicegbanker is just really nice

OK, I'll bite. How come these freestone river around Missoula are not muddy and swollen with runoff in June?
Old 04-30-2010, 08:22 PM

mtflyfishguide will become famous soon enough
Send a message via Yahoo to mtflyfishguide

Some of our rivers do blowout in June. the Black Foot, Clark Fork and the main Bitteroot will normally not fish mid May until mid to late June. Rock Creek is a freestone river that we float in May and all of June. We fish it from 400 to 2500 cfs , it runs high but doesn't blow mud due the the shale rock headwaters, very little sediment. It is an awesome river loaded with fish and has probably the best Salmon fly and Golden stone hatch in Montana, if you get a chance you should fish it. The other river that we fish then is the West Fork of the Bitteroot, it doesn't blow because there is a reservoir above it, its not a tail water reservoir but spills over and we guide about 22 miles of it in May and June, stone flies, drakes, caddis, great river. I also guide a lot of days on the Missourri out of Craig MT a couple hours east of Missoula, its a tailwater fishery loaded with toads, so we have some excellent fishing options here, check em out if you get a chance
Brooks
Old 05-01-2010, 07:45 AM

thanks Brook, I may see you in June.