The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-08-2011, 09:46 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough
Default why am i catching fish like this?

thanks for all the help everyone has been giving me on this forum, i have been catching more and more fish every time i go out and its a blast! but...

in this one hole i fish (i only fish 4-5 spots right now) i use a bounce rig and when stripping IN line so i can cast, maybe 6-12 inches at a time with a small pause to grab more line. a fish will grab and the fight is on. ive caught fish 3" all the way to 12" fish doing this. im not complaining that its happening, but why are fish grabbing bugs as they come upstream? all the hooks are in mouth, none foul hooked. is this an effective way to fish spots, drift down and then strip line like im using a streamer till im ready to cast? its only happened in this one spot, and it happends often when im there, i almost catch as many that way as i do with a normal drift. just curious why this is happening?

Brian
Old 05-08-2011, 10:06 PM

rangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to allrangerrich99 is a name known to all
Default Re: why am i catching fish like this?

Probably just predatory response. The fish sees a prey item apparently trying to escape, and reflexively attacks. Something similar has worked for me many times on various streams, including Lee's Ferry.
"Three-fourths of the Earth's surface is water, and one-fourth is land. It is quite clear that the good Lord intended us to spend triple the amount of time fishing as taking care of the lawn." ~Chuck Clark
Old 05-09-2011, 09:33 AM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about

Exactly what the previous poster said. I've caught fish on a "swimming worm" before too.
Old 05-09-2011, 09:45 AM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

I have a friend who caught a 22" brown on opening day by swinging a nymph and then giving it a couple of strips upstream. He hit on the retrieve. Like the others have said I think its just an instinct for them to grab something when it looks like its getting away.
Old 05-09-2011, 10:32 AM

TheFlyMaster will become famous soon enoughTheFlyMaster will become famous soon enough

This happens quite a bit in the upper midwest. Nymphing a hole, nothing grabs, but the second you start pulling the line for the next drift you get hit. The bug season is short up north, so the opportunity factor definately comes into play.

I think the fish are also responding by instinct to bugs rising to the surface to hatch. Pulling line at the end of drift is doing the same effect. Your bringing the fly from deeper water up to the surface, just like emerging insects.

Not scientific, but good enough answer for family feud
arrowheadflyangler.blogspot.com
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles."
Old 05-09-2011, 01:44 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Movement, as has been mentioned is probably at the root of the response from the fish. Many a trout has hung itself on my #18 blue quill at the end of a good drag free drift only to strike when it arched and began to go under water and leave a wake. These were wild fish so it had nothing to do with being an inexperienced stocked trout.

I once crawled into a position behind some tall rush and assorted stream side vegetation and observed some large brown trout cruising the pool and circling along the shore line. I tried casting to them and stripping the fly but they moved slightly away from it and otherwise ignored the fly. When they were away from the shore I dropped the fly, a large Grey Ghost streamer into the water and let it lie on the bottom. When three of the fish came round again they swam right over and were actually looking at the fly laying there. they started to move away and I gave that streamer a twitch, just a little twitch. The largest of the fish turned in an instant and literally inhaled the fly. I was using an eight pound leader so the fight was short and I hauled the trout in quick.

The lesson has proven useful ever since, even here in Alaska on salmon. I have caught fish by allowing a fly like the Skykomish Sunrise settle in a run and when fish move into the slot I get it moving again and often this results in a grab.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-10-2011, 07:29 AM

diamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to alldiamond rush is a name known to all

This technique is called the Leisenring Lift and virtually every nymph fisherman stumbles on it before they read about it.

Congrats on furthering your education!
Old 05-10-2011, 11:04 AM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

thats interesting, thanks guys. i was curious why it was so important to get a good drift, yet i could catch fish while pulling my line in
Old 05-10-2011, 04:11 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Mac,

My favorite way to catch Graying is to fish a sink tip fly line into deep holes. Using a weighted fly I let sink, sink, sink and when I can't wait any longer I make an exaggerated lift of the rod tip. Not a little move but a serious, slow left. The Grayling will almost always take the fly on the left. After the lift I let the fly sink back if no take and do it again. A great technique on Grayling.

I always make it a point to make a lift or two at the end of a drift so that the fly moves two or three feet upstream and then let it drift back. (Trout or River Bass fishing)

Frank