The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2010, 08:13 AM

Lambster has a spectacular aura aboutLambster has a spectacular aura about
Default If you were designing a Trout stream what would it be like?

I've been alot of wonderful streams all over the United States but often wondered why Anglers would pick a certain stream, for what reasons which would bring them back and back to the same stream. If you the Angler could pick out or design your stream what would you put in or what kind of makeup would you use to make it your stream?

I look back over the 35yrs. of my fishing state to state and I'f I were to design a stream to my exspectations this is what it would look like........

A good sound bed of mixed gravels, medium river rock.....without the slickness so you wouldn't fall so much....... medium but not to steep a gradient so you could wade safer....... alot of deep pockests and riffle water with soft water along the edges...... good tree cover to Keep the hot sun off me so I can enjoy the day..... good stream habitat with alot of great bug hatches....... and a good assortment of good sized trout....lets say 17 inches or better! I thank the good Lord for all the wonderful streams I've been on and for the nice friends that I've met through the years! Godbless! Tight Lines!
Lambster
Old 05-09-2010, 08:55 AM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: If you were designing a Trout stream what would it be like?

....about 30' in width with a riffle/pool/riffle/pool configuration and plenty of armchair sized rocks and a gravel bed .
tall hemlocks and mountain laural along the banks
an abundance of wild brook trout

Old 05-09-2010, 10:57 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That sounds pretty good Rip............ I'll leave it at that.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-09-2010, 01:07 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

Here ya go! Already been done!

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-09-2010, 07:20 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

You guys have pretty much summed up the perfect stream, I could only add that it be either big enough for floating or in a state where you can wade below the high water mark without worrying about private access issues.

Larry
Old 05-09-2010, 08:22 PM

colotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura aboutcolotrout has a spectacular aura about

Given my rookie status, I haven't been around much, but my wish would be for a algae-free river, the one on that picture, yea, perfect! that one with no algae. Where about is that river anyway??
Old 05-10-2010, 07:04 PM

Auntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to allAuntie Em is a name known to all

I could tell you, but if I did ...well, you know what I'd have to do!!

<It's up in the Snowy Range.>
Old 05-10-2010, 10:24 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Even though I fish big water mostly, my first love goes to smaller streams. I think that all of you got all the bases covered except for one thing. I do not wish to throw anything smaller than a size 18 dry fly. Is that too much to ask for?

MP
Old 05-11-2010, 01:33 PM

jmcg is on a distinguished road

Hello folks--thought I'd make this my first post.
The title caught my attention.

I love back woods small streams and the searching of them.
This one is nice. The water is still pretty high being early spring.
It is fed by several springs.

Old 05-12-2010, 11:41 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

My favorite stream I've ever fished had deep plunges and pools, roughly 10-15ft wide for the most part, but it opened up at one point that we backpacked into. It was probably 30 feet wide, with good sized boulders sticking out of 2-3ft of gravel bed spaced out about 10 feet apart. You could cast a #18-16 dry behind the boulders and get a bite before your fly floated out of the pocket. It even had a nice grassy bank and we were camped literally 15 feet from the creek. It was in the Beartooth mountains in Montana and was surrounded by wildlife.