The North American Fly Fishing Forum


Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2010, 09:19 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lenoir, NC
Posts: 209
franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough
Default First Time Fishing Hatchery Supported Water

So I'm generally a small wild water guy. But today my buddy wanted to go to a hatchery stream that was just stocked the day before. It was rediculous these fish were more skidish than any wild fish I've fished. We managed no trout but did catch a few fingerlength smallies. Anyone have any tips that could improve the amount of fish caught?
Reply With Quote
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2010, 09:57 AM
Jackster's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: NC
Posts: 1,643
Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: First Time Fishing Hatchery Supported Water

Usually getting DH fish is like shooting fish in a barrel, especially if they've been in for a few hours.
Once they've been beat up a while and if they survive the ever-popular NC poachers, they can get lock jaw.
Friends who fish DH waters a lot simply swing woolly buggers.

If you need an excuse as to why you got skunked, the weather always works... pressure too high, pressure too low. Front moving in, front moving out...
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2010, 09:58 AM
Didgeridoo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Canada
Posts: 301
Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First Time Fishing Hatchery Supported Water

Wow. I'm surprised by that. Maybe try camouflauge?

Out here all our fish are hatchery raised as we have no "native" trout...well except brookies up north in God's River. And at first the trout are very aggressive and hit anything. But as they get caught a couple times and acclimitize to their new home, they get harder to catch.

Super clear water definitely keeps them on edge too.
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2010, 10:27 AM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lenoir, NC
Posts: 209
franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First Time Fishing Hatchery Supported Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Usually getting DH fish is like shooting fish in a barrel, especially if they've been in for a few hours.
Once they've been beat up a while and if they survive the ever-popular NC poachers, they can get lock jaw.
Friends who fish DH waters a lot simply swing woolly buggers.

If you need an excuse as to why you got skunked, the weather always works... pressure too high, pressure too low. Front moving in, front moving out...
I've fished DH you can practically be standing on the fish and catch them. But this is a Hatchery stream, unlike DH you can keep the fish no matter what season. It was just odd to me how they were more skid-dish than wild fish.
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Hardyreels's Avatar
Administrator
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Wasilla / Skwentna, Alaska
Posts: 11,689
Blog Entries: 70
Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: First Time Fishing Hatchery Supported Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didgeridoo View Post
Wow. I'm surprised by that. Maybe try camouflauge?

Out here all our fish are hatchery raised as we have no "native" trout...well except brookies up north in God's River. And at first the trout are very aggressive and hit anything. But as they get caught a couple times and acclimitize to their new home, they get harder to catch.

Super clear water definitely keeps them on edge too.
Good one,

I concur, if you can avoid letting them know that you are present (this includes lining them) I used to toss a trio of hare's ear nymphs in # 12 - 14 and occasionally would have multiple hook ups.

They often seek out slack water and back eddies, a sharp eye there helps.......

Ard
__________________
Anywhere can be the land of great expectations, broken dreams, or paradise found, it's all up to you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 05-15-2010, 04:29 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Lenoir, NC
Posts: 209
franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough
Default Re: First Time Fishing Hatchery Supported Water

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Good one,

I concur, if you can avoid letting them know that you are present (this includes lining them) I used to toss a trio of hare's ear nymphs in # 12 - 14 and occasionally would have multiple hook ups.

They often seek out slack water and back eddies, a sharp eye there helps.......

Ard
I did, I pulled out my wild water stealth you could say and they would still spook from a full hole away. And I believe I went in with the wrong mind set. I went into the day thinking it would be like fishing my local DH on Wilson's creek... but man was i mistaken.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Water levels are finally dropping, and that means the fishing is getting good. Water Fish Bones The Daily Papers 0 07-14-2009 07:10 PM
Fishing, or angling, may be done in fresh water or salt water. When you fish in strea Fish Bones The Daily Papers 0 01-02-2009 08:10 PM
• LAKE MEAD -- Late summer and early fall is top-water time for striped bass, althoug Fish Bones The Daily Papers 0 09-18-2008 05:13 AM
Fishing has been excellent in the Yakima River. This is the time of year when water l Fish Bones The Daily Papers 0 09-10-2008 07:30 PM
California Firefighters Save Mt. Whitney Trout Hatchery Fish Bones Everything Else 1 07-10-2007 03:18 PM













All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:50 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Search Engine Optimization by vBSEO 3.6.0
2005-2014 The North American Fly Fishing Forum. All rights reserved.