The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2010, 09:19 AM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough
Default First Time Fishing Hatchery Supported Water

So I'm generally a small wild water guy. But today my buddy wanted to go to a hatchery stream that was just stocked the day before. It was rediculous these fish were more skidish than any wild fish I've fished. We managed no trout but did catch a few fingerlength smallies. Anyone have any tips that could improve the amount of fish caught?
Old 05-15-2010, 09:57 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future
Default Re: First Time Fishing Hatchery Supported Water

Usually getting DH fish is like shooting fish in a barrel, especially if they've been in for a few hours.
Once they've been beat up a while and if they survive the ever-popular NC poachers, they can get lock jaw.
Friends who fish DH waters a lot simply swing woolly buggers.

If you need an excuse as to why you got skunked, the weather always works... pressure too high, pressure too low. Front moving in, front moving out...
Old 05-15-2010, 09:58 AM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold

Wow. I'm surprised by that. Maybe try camouflauge?

Out here all our fish are hatchery raised as we have no "native" trout...well except brookies up north in God's River. And at first the trout are very aggressive and hit anything. But as they get caught a couple times and acclimitize to their new home, they get harder to catch.

Super clear water definitely keeps them on edge too.
Old 05-15-2010, 10:27 AM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jackster View Post
Usually getting DH fish is like shooting fish in a barrel, especially if they've been in for a few hours.
Once they've been beat up a while and if they survive the ever-popular NC poachers, they can get lock jaw.
Friends who fish DH waters a lot simply swing woolly buggers.

If you need an excuse as to why you got skunked, the weather always works... pressure too high, pressure too low. Front moving in, front moving out...
I've fished DH you can practically be standing on the fish and catch them. But this is a Hatchery stream, unlike DH you can keep the fish no matter what season. It was just odd to me how they were more skid-dish than wild fish.
Old 05-15-2010, 01:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didgeridoo View Post
Wow. I'm surprised by that. Maybe try camouflauge?

Out here all our fish are hatchery raised as we have no "native" trout...well except brookies up north in God's River. And at first the trout are very aggressive and hit anything. But as they get caught a couple times and acclimitize to their new home, they get harder to catch.

Super clear water definitely keeps them on edge too.
Good one,

I concur, if you can avoid letting them know that you are present (this includes lining them) I used to toss a trio of hare's ear nymphs in # 12 - 14 and occasionally would have multiple hook ups.

They often seek out slack water and back eddies, a sharp eye there helps.......

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-15-2010, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Good one,

I concur, if you can avoid letting them know that you are present (this includes lining them) I used to toss a trio of hare's ear nymphs in # 12 - 14 and occasionally would have multiple hook ups.

They often seek out slack water and back eddies, a sharp eye there helps.......

Ard
I did, I pulled out my wild water stealth you could say and they would still spook from a full hole away. And I believe I went in with the wrong mind set. I went into the day thinking it would be like fishing my local DH on Wilson's creek... but man was i mistaken.