The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2010, 11:04 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold
Default Chinook part two

I am a little too tired at the moment to write a full report (Just got home from fishing). I will write a full report a little later......... I just wanted to say FFFFFFUUUUUU Chinook!

Here is a little taste of how the day went (this is by buddy's rod not mine)

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 05-17-2010, 01:46 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Chinook part two

I'm behind the curve on this thread, are you fishing for King Salmon? Did a salmon break the rod with help from the angler?

I ask this because four summers ago I hauled back hard on a big boy while using my 9'6" Greys' Platinum X and I managed to set the hook and break the rod shaft all in one motion. I know I should not fish for kings with a seven weight! But it happened, the events that followed the snapping rod are just a blurr but the fish escaped, I have all my fingers, and I always use my #9 Orvis now for kings. Sometimes I hook fish that worry me with a #9.

Ard

Check PM on this from me.................

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-17-2010, 07:24 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold

That rod looks familiar! In twelve trips to the Kenai Peninsula, with a whole variety of fishing companions (never less than 4 besides myself each year), we have never failed to snap at least one rod. 90% percent of the time the angler has played a major role in the breakage, but a few times it has been inexplicable. For me I personally have broken two rods, both ten weights. The first a St. Croix that I built using an SC4 blank. I was ankle deep in the water trying to land a fiesty sockeye when the bugger shot right back between my legs, basically beaching itself. It happened so fast I couldn't react. No rod can withstand a bend like that.
The second rod I broke was a really fluke accident. I had just brought a Silver to the net. Apparently, one of the other fishermen thought it was a good idea to knock a landed salmon on the head with a rock while it was still in the net. The salmon I was fighting slipped right through the resulting hole. The rod tip went into the net, and you can guess the result. Nothing makes your heart sink like a rod snapping. I buy nothing now that doesn't have a lifetime no-fault guarantee!
By the way, for those of you that have never experienced a 10 pound Sockeye in heavy water..........I don't think a 10 weight is over gunned at all.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 05-17-2010, 12:03 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Oh boy this should be good....

Sasha I always enjoy your reports-- sounds like this is going to be a classic!
Old 05-17-2010, 02:17 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Looking forward....part 2...Sasha
Old 05-18-2010, 12:03 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Like some sick obsession; I had been checking river flows and fish counts almost daily since my last attempt at salmon fishing two weeks ago. I was pretty encouraged when I noticed that the flows were coming down and the fish counts were coming up.

Two days before my trip (and after a warm spell) I noticed that the flows were starting to come up again. However the fish counts by the 14th were about six times what they had been. I got all of my equipment packed into the car the night before the trip. As I am still waiting for my spey rod to arrive, I only loaded my single hand 9wt into my gear bag.

My day started off at around 0300 when my alarm woke me. I hit snooze a few too many times and ended up getting out of bed by 0327. I got up got dressed and texted Chris to let him know that I was running a little behind schedule.

I met up with Chris, he loaded his gear into my car and we were on our way. The drive went by pretty quickly; as we talked about various fly fishing subjects to pass the time. Once we were getting closer to our destination the excitement of fishing for salmon began to grow.

When we drove by the ďgauntletĒ there were a lot of vehicles parked by the side of the road. We noticed an individual crossing the street; he had several Chinook that he was carrying. Chris said ďat least we know they are in the system nowĒ.

When we got to the first spot that we wanted to fish there were several people fishing that spot. We got back in the car and headed down river to the next spot. Once we got to the next spot we got out, got geared up and began to fish.

Well after about an hour or so of casting practice we decided to head back up river. When we got back to the original spot that we wanted to fish some of the people had cleared out. The boat was still there though. We got out made our way to the river and began to fish.

After a little while I hooked my first fish of the day. Actually it was only a smolt; I removed the hook and sent it on its way. A few casts later I managed to hook a whitefish, I tell you it was a fierce battle on my 9wt

We continued to fish the run when on one cast it happened. I felt a take and set the hook. This fish was a lot different feeling than the previous little guys. Unfortunately I only managed to experience it for a short time. Because as I started to fight the fish, he decided that he didnít want to play anymore and popped off.

After a little while we decided to go even further up river where the water was quite a bit smaller.

This is the area we probably should have started the day on. At first when we got there was not much of anything going on other than casting practice. Even the spin guys were not having any luck. As it was getting closer to evening the salmon started to give some nice aerial displays as they made their way up river.

I never managed to hook another fish the rest of the day. It seemed pretty slow so I found Chris and said letís get out of here and try another day. I went back to the car and was getting my gear packed back up when one of the spin guys hooked one. Chris ran down to check it out, the guy ended up getting tangled up on some underwater brush. Chris managed to get the fish but it slipped out of his hands and swam away.

Despite not landing any fish on this trip I canít wait to get back and try it again. I had an absolutely fun day; the only think that would have made it better would have been landing an adult Chinook. I am not really sure why am drawn to this type of fishing as I have not landed one yet. Part of it is the fact that it isnít easy to catch them (unlike a brown on the O). Part of it is just getting out and having fun with friends. Also I want to feel what it is like to really fight one. Well maybe my third time (in a couple of weeks) fishing for them will be a charm.

Ps: Chrisís did not: Slam his rod in the car door, step on it, drive over it, snag it, etc. etc. etc. Good thing he brought a spare rod though.
Old 05-18-2010, 08:47 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Sasha: Great trip report and as ususal great photos! Sorry to see Chris's rod broke.

Larry
Old 05-18-2010, 11:30 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Sasha,

I would love to have a nice clear little river like that close to home here! I'd also like to be able to hitch a ride there with you tomorrow. A 9' 9wt is plenty for that water, the long two hand rod will serve for really big rivers but that water you need to work up close.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-18-2010, 09:19 PM

thonyb will become famous soon enough

sasha,
hello. i have been going after chinook myself and have yet to get anything either. That river looks sweet. Chinook are easy to catch and you got to love the hard long fight
Old 05-18-2010, 10:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
Sasha,

I would love to have a nice clear little river like that close to home here! I'd also like to be able to hitch a ride there with you tomorrow. A 9' 9wt is plenty for that water, the long two hand rod will serve for really big rivers but that water you need to work up close.

Ard

First off thanks everybody!!!!!

@Ard: The river in the first shot is the lower salmon river. At the time I was fishing it it had jumped from 11,000 CFS to 14,900 CFS. The smaller river was at just under 1000 CFS. You could not wade the smaller one at all and only in limited spots on the main salmon.