The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2011, 12:22 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Favorite Stillwater (Chironomids) Flies

Due to my recent challenges with ambulation, it appears I'll be spending what time I do get fishing this coming season on stillwaters fishing out of my pontoon boat; not that this is a bad thing, but moving waters are my passion.

I do have a lot of options in and around the area where I live, so it's not like I have to sacrifice a whole lot, yet stillwaters have not been my focus for the past few years. Although I really used to fish a lot of stillwaters prior to moving to east Idaho, my main focus since arriving here has been on the variety of rivers and smaller streams.

Nothing like life throwing you a bit of an off-speed pitch that helps get you out of the norm and focus on alternatives.

Therefore, my query to all of you, what are your favorite stillwater patterns, especially chironomids? I'll be fishing waters like Henry's Lake and Hebgen Lake, along with numerous smaller and less-known lakes and reservoirs in the area.

Photos and recipes would be appreciated, along with a history of the fly, as well as how you fish it.

In advance I'm thanking all of you for your participation.

Tight lines,

Kelly.
Old 05-16-2011, 12:42 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Favorite Stillwater (Chironomids) Flies

Kelly I do hope you'll be able to wade moving waters soonI sometimes fish still waters in winter and have great results with the "ugly green" it's not a chironomid of course but the great advantage of this fly is that it can be used as an emerger with a floating line and also to fish under the water with a sinking line slowly "knitting" it.I have never been disappointed with this fly.
Tie some,try it and let me know.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:25 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Blood midges, scuds, Hare's ears, Phesant tails, Chromies-red with white bead, Zebra midges. Lot's of scuds in Henry's. When it's damsel time, simple nymph patterns work. Fish them under an indicator or full sinking line. Slow strips or figure 8 retrieve works well.
Old 05-16-2011, 10:29 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly: I love Dorsey's mercury series of midge patterns (mercury black beauty, mercury blood midge, his top secret mide, Craven's Jujubee midge and Garcia's Rojo midge. Besides Chironomids, I think your scud would do really well on stillwaters. Also don't overlook damsel fly patterns and leech patterns. Take a look at Denny Rickards web site and the flies he recommends. He is a stillwater guru that concentrates on hunting for Walter. www.flyfishstillwaters.com - Fly Fish Stillwaters
I'd also highly recommend that you get a copy of his book "Sillwater Presentation", it is loaded with valuable information that will be very beneficial.
Also read carefully what Denny recommends for fly lines and the reasoning that he gives.

Larry

Old 05-16-2011, 10:46 PM

vanilla is on a distinguished road

The beauty of chironomids is they don't have to be complicated at all. A basic zebra midge in various colors and sizes (usually 10-14, but could be bigger or smaller) will do you just fine.

If you want to get crazy about it, the complicated stuff works as well. But they really are simple. The three chironomid flies that have caught more fish for me are the illuminator, zebra midge (usually start with black) and a rootbeer midge pattern (tied with rootbeer glass beads for the body and peacock hurl for the thorax). All super simple and quick to tie. All produce very well.

Get some slip indicators as well. They are definitely worth trying out!

http://lockemandrockem.blogspot.com/
Old 05-16-2011, 10:51 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

We've just had a number of incredible stillwater trips. The fish were stocked Rainbows so my guess is the " fish IQ" is a lot lower than Henry's Lake trout. Anyway here were the hot ones:
All small buggers;
1. size 10's; dark olive tail-dark olive body-undersize natural grizzley hackle (2 sizes under #14).
2. J Fairs Wiggle Tails; #10's; Burnt orange tail-olive body-burnt orange hackle. J. Fair's Wiggle Tail
3. my black bugger ( I had the best luck with this one); #10; black tail w/black or grey ghost Krystal Flash; back 1/2 of body green buggy dubbing with Northern Lights Lite Brite mixed/front 1/2 black buggy dubbing with Northern Lights Lite Brite mixed; black undersize hackle(#14); head fire orange thread; pick out a little dubbing/sparkle.
4. Seal Buggers; Seal Bugger . Again the burnt orange was the color.
All fished with long slow strips with pauses in top 5' H2O (temp was 55*). Some used a blood midge 2nd fly attached to the bend. They said about 50% were caught on the blood midge: #10; lead wire; red thread body; red marabou tail (short); red nail polish.

Last edited by Jimmie; 05-17-2011 at 10:14 AM. Reason: added top 5' + blood midge
Old 05-20-2011, 06:38 AM

danielp is on a distinguished road

Fishing stillwaters with chironomid (buzzers on this side of the pond) is how I got started fly fishing. Still enjoy it now and catch the majority of my stillwater trout on them.

My favourite wet patterns are

Varnish quill buzzzer
Click the image to open in full size.

Hook: B100 or B110 (Kamasan)
Body: Stripped peacock quill
Thorax: Orange tee shirt paint
Varnish: Think SHHAN for the abdomen using thicker varnish to build up the thorax

PT Buzzer
Click the image to open in full size.
Hook: B110 or B100
Thorax: Peacock herl
Abdomen: PT with copper wire rib
Wing Buds: Orange goose biots

Most of the time when fishing these patterns it is either a very very slow figure of 8 retrieve just to keep up with the boats drift or cast them out at an angle to the wind and let the wing bring them round. Occasionally they are fished under a bung.

Cheers Dan
Old 05-20-2011, 11:58 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, everyone for your responses. Dan, that first fly is incredible; can't wait to tie some of those up.

Kelly.