The North American Fly Fishing Forum

The North American Fly Fishing Forum (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/)
-   Coldwater Fly Fishing (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/)
-   -   Go-to color for glo-bugs? (http://www.theflyfishingforum.com/forums/coldwater-fly-fishing/13811-go-color-glo-bugs.html)

oregonism 05-19-2010 11:09 AM

Go-to color for glo-bugs?

Do you have a favorite color? Or do you vary the color based on the conditions? I've read that you go bright colors for high, fast water, and muted colors for low water.

I'm just trying to find a color that I know will catch fish, so I can fish it with confidence.

mrfzx 05-19-2010 11:25 AM

Re: Go-to color for glo-bugs?

For lake run brownies, I like a medium dark blue egg in the A.M., and switch to either a bright orange crystal flash egg or a cream crystal flash egg in the afternoon.

For rainbows in AK, I have had my best luck with a pearl hard bead.

HuronRiverDan 05-19-2010 12:05 PM

I will usually start with a peach color...I use a variety of colors from white to chartreuse. In off colored water I use brighter larger flies; in clear water conditions I use the more natural colors.

Dan

kglissmeyer1 05-19-2010 12:33 PM

My favorite around the waters of southeast Idaho is 'Early Girl' from McFly Foam.

Kelly.

Frank Whiton 05-19-2010 03:32 PM

Hi Everyone,

When I was using eggs in Alaska I tried to match the size and color of the eggs that were present in the water at that time. So if Kings were running I used an egg the color and size as the King eggs. I can't say it made any difference but it made sense to me at the time.

Frank

oregonism 05-19-2010 04:10 PM

I should mention that I'm targeting steelhead. Specifically summer's now.

MoscaPescador 05-19-2010 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Whiton (Post 92120)
Hi Everyone,

When I was using eggs in Alaska I tried to match the size and color of the eggs that were present in the water at that time. So if Kings were running I used an egg the color and size as the King eggs. I can't say it made any difference but it made sense to me at the time.

Frank

What Frank said!

Choosing eggs is like matching the hatch with bugs. It is good to have a box full of different colors and sizes. Have different shades of reds, pinks, oranges, and yellows in two sizes (one large, one small).

MP

fredaevans 05-19-2010 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frank Whiton (Post 92120)
Hi Everyone,

Frank

Same for me. Actually rarely use them here on the upper Rogue, save for late Fall when the kings are in and free spawning in the river. Beyond that? For me, a waste of time.

fae

oregonism 05-20-2010 09:53 AM

Yeah, I'm generally fishing for hatchery fish in the Clackamas and Sandy rivers, and a few other tributaries in the area. I'm also starting to get to some of the coastal rivers as well.

Are there other general steelhead nymphs I should be considering? I might be trading a reel for a couple dozen lifters, which look pretty good.

MoscaPescador 05-20-2010 12:10 PM

What is interesting is that Steelhead will take the same nymphs that Rainbow Trout take. The fly sizes can range from size 2 stonefly patterns to size 18 mayflies. You may want to check with some of the local shops for their preferences.

Even though I mostly swing for Steelhead, I have a lot of confidence in Prince Nymphs and the variations of it in many Northern California and Southern Oregon waters. I usually carry them from size 8 to size 12. Over the past few years, a purple size 12 Mercer's Psycho Prince was the hot fly on the Trinity River in Northern California.

You may want to check on your local regulations. There are some waters that do not allow external weight to be used. I believe the Upper Rogue is like that during part of the year. In that case, be sure to have some tungsten beaded flies.

MP