The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2010, 11:09 AM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough
Default Go-to color for glo-bugs?

Do you have a favorite color? Or do you vary the color based on the conditions? I've read that you go bright colors for high, fast water, and muted colors for low water.

I'm just trying to find a color that I know will catch fish, so I can fish it with confidence.
Old 05-19-2010, 11:25 AM

mrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to beholdmrfzx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Go-to color for glo-bugs?

For lake run brownies, I like a medium dark blue egg in the A.M., and switch to either a bright orange crystal flash egg or a cream crystal flash egg in the afternoon.

For rainbows in AK, I have had my best luck with a pearl hard bead.

There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. ~Patrick F. McManus, Never Sniff a Gift Fish, 1979

Anger is like peeing in your pants: everyone can see it, but only you can feel it. ~Jeff Yalden

Remember: The winner gets to write the history books.
Old 05-19-2010, 12:05 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I will usually start with a peach color...I use a variety of colors from white to chartreuse. In off colored water I use brighter larger flies; in clear water conditions I use the more natural colors.

Dan
Old 05-19-2010, 12:33 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

My favorite around the waters of southeast Idaho is 'Early Girl' from McFly Foam.

Kelly.
Old 05-19-2010, 03:32 PM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Everyone,

When I was using eggs in Alaska I tried to match the size and color of the eggs that were present in the water at that time. So if Kings were running I used an egg the color and size as the King eggs. I can't say it made any difference but it made sense to me at the time.

Frank
Old 05-19-2010, 04:10 PM

oregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the roughoregonism is a jewel in the rough

I should mention that I'm targeting steelhead. Specifically summer's now.
Old 05-19-2010, 04:35 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Everyone,

When I was using eggs in Alaska I tried to match the size and color of the eggs that were present in the water at that time. So if Kings were running I used an egg the color and size as the King eggs. I can't say it made any difference but it made sense to me at the time.

Frank
What Frank said!

Choosing eggs is like matching the hatch with bugs. It is good to have a box full of different colors and sizes. Have different shades of reds, pinks, oranges, and yellows in two sizes (one large, one small).

MP
Old 05-19-2010, 05:20 PM

fredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond reputefredaevans has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank Whiton View Post
Hi Everyone,

Frank
Same for me. Actually rarely use them here on the upper Rogue, save for late Fall when the kings are in and free spawning in the river. Beyond that? For me, a waste of time.

fae
Old 05-20-2010, 09:53 AM

Yeah, I'm generally fishing for hatchery fish in the Clackamas and Sandy rivers, and a few other tributaries in the area. I'm also starting to get to some of the coastal rivers as well.

Are there other general steelhead nymphs I should be considering? I might be trading a reel for a couple dozen lifters, which look pretty good.
Old 05-20-2010, 12:10 PM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

What is interesting is that Steelhead will take the same nymphs that Rainbow Trout take. The fly sizes can range from size 2 stonefly patterns to size 18 mayflies. You may want to check with some of the local shops for their preferences.

Even though I mostly swing for Steelhead, I have a lot of confidence in Prince Nymphs and the variations of it in many Northern California and Southern Oregon waters. I usually carry them from size 8 to size 12. Over the past few years, a purple size 12 Mercer's Psycho Prince was the hot fly on the Trinity River in Northern California.

You may want to check on your local regulations. There are some waters that do not allow external weight to be used. I believe the Upper Rogue is like that during part of the year. In that case, be sure to have some tungsten beaded flies.

MP