The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-25-2010, 01:37 PM

bwofish is on a distinguished road
Default Tandems Help

I want to start fishing tandems but would like some help setting it up, just some questions:

* If I use a dry-dropper rig what length leader should I use and how much tippet should I tie on? How about fishing two nymphs?

* What casts should I be using to not tangle?

* If I use a dry-dropper can I still add split-shot and where?

* How should I attach the second fly, I know there are different methods(tag, from the bend, etc), but which is the best?
Old 05-25-2010, 01:54 PM

wayland46 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Tandems Help

bwofish, If you do a forum search for dropper fly or double fly rig you will find that there are a great many threads and opinions about this subject...I found that reading them and picking one that fits your condition works really well...There is no one "best way" for every situation...Welcome to the forum and I hope that it helps you as much as it has me!
Old 05-25-2010, 07:53 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

great answer wayland46. Like you said, too many answers to this.

Like #1.. length of leader on a Dry Dropper depends on the situation. If the water is clear, you will need longer. As far as tippet, are you meaning to the dropper? If so, again, depends on the water. An emerger you can get away with 12" to 18"...nymphs or pupas will be a little more.

#2, I find a roll cast the most forgiving

#3 I don't use split shot. It would have to be very little and a very large dry.

#4 Again your choice. On a dry dropper, I will use the tag, but off the bend or the eye works. Just have to decide for yourself.

Great questions and stay in touch with this
Old 05-26-2010, 07:22 AM

bwofish is on a distinguished road

thanks, I'll search around, just one small question, on a dry-dropper if you don't use split shots will the nymph still get to the bottom?
Old 05-26-2010, 07:59 AM

Jackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant futureJackster has a brilliant future

For overhead casting that stuff, open your loops. Cast in ovals with a back cast low and a higher forward cast. Don't let the rig stop abruptly between the fore and back cast but try keeping constant tension on the rig throughout the cast.
Old 05-26-2010, 08:32 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwofish View Post
thanks, I'll search around, just one small question, on a dry-dropper if you don't use split shots will the nymph still get to the bottom?
Don't expect your nymph to get right down on the bottom...When you're fishing the Dry-nymph rig it is representing an emerging nymph in most cases...

Dan
Old 05-26-2010, 11:44 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
I'll usually use a bead-head nymph as a dropper to maximize dropping the nymph into the 'zone'. The depth is determined by where the fish are. A Dry/dropper rig is usually fished in water no deeper than knee-deep. I also will usually drop a second nymph off of the first in the waters where I can legally do that.

Joni, gave some great advice and I would also do a search of the board as there is a lot of great info regarding this topic.

Kelly.
Old 05-26-2010, 01:35 PM

Fly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to beholdFly2Fish is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Certainly in fast-flowing water you will need weight of some sort to get the nymph down near the bottom before the current carries it beyond your target area, but it's a delicate balancing act to put on enough weight to sink the nymph without also pulling the dry fly under. Extra tippet between the two won't do the trick, as too much tippet slack will cause you to miss the strike on the nymph because your indicator dry fly won't move in time. Normal rule of thumb is to have 1 1/2 times the depth of the water for the distance between your dry fly/indicator and your dropper nymph, but this will obviously depend upon the speed of the current. Normally when fly-fishing larger fast-flowing rivers like the San Juan I place the split shot 12-18" above the dropper nymph, putting the weight right above a knot so it doesn't slide down.

A lot of fly-fishers who tie their own flies like to weight the fly when tying it with a lead (or lead-free) wire underwrap on the fly body, as an alternative to using split shot. If the fly pattern allows, beadheads also work well, particularly the tungsten beads which are heavier than other metals. This does make casting easier, as you don't have to worry about the split shot sliding down or aiding in leader tangles by "hinging" the tippet. And Jackster's advice below about opening up your loops (never mind the "tight-loop" advice when casting tandem rigs) will save you a bunch of time de-tangling your leader.
Old 05-27-2010, 12:24 AM

crittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nicecrittergetter is just really nice

My first year of tandems......

I pushed myself to practice on steam only 30 minutes at first... then 1 hour then. 2... then. then....

Doubles can be frustrating at first. Joni' had it with the roll cast. I use a plop cast now in a short line high sticking fast water area....

again... try it with practice... and watch the tree's or rocks or or or or .....

I can tell you, you will out catch anybody around you as you advance your techniques.... I used a double Giffets with a Royal Wolfe top water in a pool of about 10 fish... 60% were griffets and 40% were Wolfe... think about only having one... would I have cought less fish?

Double BlueGill is killer fun.. with a light setup....