The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2010, 12:24 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold
Default Dusted off the ole 0wt

My day started pretty early when my alarm woke me at 0300; I got up and was on the road by 0330. Today was a little bit different. You see I had been checking the flows since my last Chinook trip in anticipation of going again. However the flows were pretty high so a Chinook trip was out for today.

Today’s destination was about as opposite as you can get from what I had been doing. I left the 9wt at home and took a couple of my 0wt rods along for today’s trip.

After a bit of a drive I arrived at my destination at around 0730. It was a cool and foggy morning; I got geared up and headed to the creek.

Click the image to open in full size.

The creek looked just like I remembered. I got into the water and began to fish. It did not take long until the first willing resident came to hand.

I worked my way up stream catching fish all along the way. I will admit it was nice to get back to throwing dries upstream to trout. I had been so consumed with my Chinook quest I had almost forgotten the joy that is “creekin”.

After awhile the fog began to break up and I could enjoy the scenery. My stomach started to growl; so I decided to head back for a quick lunch. After I ate I decided to check the time it was already 1345. So I said to myself “I’ll just fish for another hour”…….Yea right!

I went back to the creek and resumed fishing. By this time there were fish rising everywhere. After catching a ton of brookies and bows I thought to myself “It must be an hour by now”. So I decided to head back.

Unfortunately when I got to the car and geared down I noticed that much more than an hour had gone by. So I packed up and started my 4+ hr drive home (it was 1600 when I left). Overall I really enjoyed the day. The creek seems to be the way I remembered it with one exception. There were the same numbers of fish as last year. However there seemed to be fewer fish in the 13”-14” range. I also saw several dead brookies in the water. They did not appear to have any signs of disease actually they looked quite good (despite the fact that they were dead).

I hope you enjoyed my first small water report for 2010.
Old 05-31-2010, 12:59 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Dusted off the ole 0wt

I liked it.

To tell you the truth I enjoyed the little brooks of Pennsylvania more than the streams here in Alaska. I miss fishing with my little flea rod and I miss Brook trout. I know that may sound crazy but sometimes that is how I feel.

When you don't live where the salmon run, you dream of salmon. When you live where the salmon run, you dream of your old home waters. I guess the fish are always prettier on the other side of the fence.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-31-2010, 01:21 AM

wetworth is on a distinguished road

Beautiful scenery, a great looking piece of water. All you can hope for is a great day of catching trout. I'm jealous
Old 05-31-2010, 08:11 AM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

That was a great day, too bad about all the dead fish.
Old 05-31-2010, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton

Hi Sasha,

Thanks for sharing your trip. You are lucky to live where you have such good fishing with out an Army of other fly fishers.

Frank
Old 05-31-2010, 10:26 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Another fun trip report that was really enjoyable. Thanks Sasha.
Always amazed at the size of fly some of the smaller guys will take.
Old 05-31-2010, 10:05 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
To tell you the truth I enjoyed the little brooks of Pennsylvania more than the streams here in Alaska. I miss fishing with my little flea rod and I miss Brook trout. I know that may sound crazy but sometimes that is how I feel.

When you don't live where the salmon run, you dream of salmon. When you live where the salmon run, you dream of your old home waters. I guess the fish are always prettier on the other side of the fence.

Ard
That is one reason I love this state. There is so much in the way of different types of fishing. The only thing that is missing is salt.

Quote:
Beautiful scenery, a great looking piece of water. All you can hope for is a great day of catching trout. I'm jealous

Thanks! That place is pretty cool. If you are into to small waters and don't mind the 13" and smaller dinks. Pwesonally I don't care but there are those that only target large fish.

Quote:
That was a great day, too bad about all the dead fish.

Yea I am still not sure what the dead fish were about.

Quote:
Hi Sasha,

Thanks for sharing your trip. You are lucky to live where you have such good fishing with out an Army of other fly fishers.

Frank

Thanks! Well the reason is that you have to know the places to go There still are plenty of spots that get hammered out here. Fortunately for me none of them are little creeks like this one; that I so enjoy fly fishing on. Also the fact that this creek is kind of close to some famous blue ribbon places doesn't hurt either

Quote:
Another fun trip report that was really enjoyable. Thanks Sasha.
Always amazed at the size of fly some of the smaller guys will take.

Thanks!!

That is creekin out here big bushy flies and the fish just go stupid. It was kind of funny that I was able to catch a lot of fish on three color variations of the same fly pattern (still wish that I didn't forget my #14 and #12 para hares ears at home. That is another creek favorite of mine).
Old 06-01-2010, 05:21 AM

cwg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post

Ard
aint that the truth!

good story, nice pics,
CWG
Old 06-01-2010, 07:28 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Sasha, another great report and the usual excellent photos...You are in Trout Fishers Heaven...

Dan
Old 06-01-2010, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Great report Sasha,fishing such beautiful places must be fun...I see I'm not the only one to catch little fish...at times.