The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 10:55 PM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Streamers

Mac,
As cold and high as our water is right now you need to have a pretty slow retrieve, these fish still aren't moving very fast. Search for structure where the fish get out of the heavier current.

Are you fishing the middle section?

*Comments posted above are only my opinion. I may be right....ehhh.....I'm certain they're wrong. Take 'em for what they're worth.*

Old 05-20-2011, 11:31 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by fyshstykr View Post
Mac,
As cold and high as our water is right now you need to have a pretty slow retrieve, these fish still aren't moving very fast. Search for structure where the fish get out of the heavier current.

Are you fishing the middle section?
yep middle, theres one bend i like up at the bunny farm, and on the other side of the road that first very slow bend. also on that same side theres a hole i know for when i get frustrated and just wanna catch a fish i go to. and then up by the dam theres a couple spots i go.
when i go somewhere new alone i dont feel confident so i tend to give up on that spot a little faster than i should. i feel like im no expert and may be fishing a spot where theres no fish if i dont get a bit within 10-20 min
i know the rivers are super high right now, and ive been wanting to do some still water but have no clue where to begin
Old 05-21-2011, 05:04 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Here is a link to a good article series on streamer fishing for big trout.
Feed Them Meat I _ The Streamer Diaries | The Ozark Fly Fisher Journal
It is a 4 part series so just find the search box in the left side menu and search "Feed Them Meat" and you will get the links to the rest of the series.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 05-22-2011, 05:34 PM

al_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura aboutal_a has a spectacular aura about

I love fishing streamers, and in fact will often keep fishing a streamer even if fish are rising to dry flies. I just have more confidence in catching bigger fish on streamers. Also, I am a smallmouth bass angler at heart, and I like throwing "meat".

But one thing...you gotta believe. There are plenty of days when you're only going to catch a few fish on streamers, though they might be big ones.

The quartering downstream cast is the easiest way of fishing streamers, especially if the fish are really on them. I like to have my streamer pointed at least partially upstream. The quartering downstream cast means the streamer usually swings out and down but with any strip or twitch it darts more or less upstream. This is a natural swimming motion for baitfish and many other aquatic organisms. Other than that, just keep varying your streamer movements until something happens. In moving water, let the current swing the streamer out, trying it with no strips or twitches, just a smooth outward swing away from the bank. Then try letting it swing out but adding some very short, gentle twitches, not strips, just keeping the same amount of line out and twitching the rod tip. Then harder, longer twitches. Then short strips. Then longer strips. Vary the cadence as well. Sooner or later a fish will take it and then you have a good starting point for what's working that day.

Also, don't be afraid to dead drift streamers. I like to dead drift through a deep run, with a few twitches at the end of the drift when the streamer starts to swing or rise off the bottom. Or dead drift except adding just an occasional twitch or gentle lift of the rod during the drift.

A fish taking the streamer will manifest as a twitch, jerk, and or just some weight on the end of the line. You'll end up setting the hook into a snag or rock now and then, but if something feels funny or the line does something funny, set.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:34 PM

wt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant futurewt bash has a brilliant future

It may sound goofy but if all else fails really rip one through, tuck your rod under one arm and double hand strip FAST! I've watched countless trout follow looking like they mean business but never hit after seeing that a few times I'll rip that streamer through and crack! Game on!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:49 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by al_a View Post
I love fishing streamers, and in fact will often keep fishing a streamer even if fish are rising to dry flies. I just have more confidence in catching bigger fish on streamers. Also, I am a smallmouth bass angler at heart, and I like throwing "meat".

But one thing...you gotta believe. There are plenty of days when you're only going to catch a few fish on streamers, though they might be big ones.

The quartering downstream cast is the easiest way of fishing streamers, especially if the fish are really on them. I like to have my streamer pointed at least partially upstream. The quartering downstream cast means the streamer usually swings out and down but with any strip or twitch it darts more or less upstream. This is a natural swimming motion for baitfish and many other aquatic organisms. Other than that, just keep varying your streamer movements until something happens. In moving water, let the current swing the streamer out, trying it with no strips or twitches, just a smooth outward swing away from the bank. Then try letting it swing out but adding some very short, gentle twitches, not strips, just keeping the same amount of line out and twitching the rod tip. Then harder, longer twitches. Then short strips. Then longer strips. Vary the cadence as well. Sooner or later a fish will take it and then you have a good starting point for what's working that day.

Also, don't be afraid to dead drift streamers. I like to dead drift through a deep run, with a few twitches at the end of the drift when the streamer starts to swing or rise off the bottom. Or dead drift except adding just an occasional twitch or gentle lift of the rod during the drift.

A fish taking the streamer will manifest as a twitch, jerk, and or just some weight on the end of the line. You'll end up setting the hook into a snag or rock now and then, but if something feels funny or the line does something funny, set.
the reason im interested in streamers is i grew up saltwater fishing and am used to soft plastics and having all that fun. just wish i had someone to show me i went out yesterday but snapped my fly off casting and couldnt find it behind me anywhere. so i had to go back to nymph (i dont know why i only carry one streamer) and i caught a hunch back brown ha! had a HUUUUGE back, then normal tail. hopefully i get one here soon, i think ill stop in the shop soon and talk to the guys about what ones to try out here.