Streamers

TexUte Fly

Reaction score
so ive made it my goal to catch my next fish on a streamer, well been 4 days out now and no fish.:confused::mad: maybe one hit but i dont think it was a hit. i use a 6wt, i should feel the hit pretty hard right?

now im not the best caster out there, but i can get it out 30-40ft 3 out of 5 times. (which is what i need to cast across the part im trying) im using a black wooly bugger size 8 with 5x tippet. ive been told this is a go to streamer for trout.

i try to cast it out into the grass/slow water on the other side do a quick mend and strip in about 6" at a time. but the water is moving pretty fast right now and my streamer is soon swimming upstream. is this bad? also if i dont make it as far as i want or im still in the current i still try to fish it anyway. is this a waste? anyone got a free book, video, or podcast they can show me about streamers? i really wanna get something on one. i know there is some big fish in here and i want to get into some. i love having a fish that will pull out my drag.

gt05254

Reaction score
One of the classic ways to fish a streamer is to cast it downstream and across from your position at about a 45 degree angle from you as you are facing downstream. Often, it is unnecessary - in very fast water - to strip line as your fly swings across the creek/stream/river. Once it comes to rest below you, you can start to strip it in as you've been doing. In very slow water, you might try stripping line as the fly is doing its swing.

Fish often take the fly at the very end of its swing, so be ready!

Good luck, Gary

Last edited:

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Mac: When streamer fishing I like sink tip lines or intermediate sinking lines, currently I'm using a 250 grain sink tip on my 7 wt rod and an intermediate sinking line on my 6 wt. You can get by with a floating line but then I would switch to a weighted streamer, the whole idea is to get the fly down as fast as possible. When tossing streamers the fish will hit the fly hard, there is nothing dainty about it, so I wouldn't use 5x tippet. I usually use this setup: 18 inches of 20 lb mono followed by 18" of 10-12 lb mono. Black wooly buggers are a good start, but if you aren't getting strikes, then change the retrieve/pause rates and then try changing up the color.

Larry

gt05254

Reaction score
Good points about the sink tips, Larry, especially in the heavy water we all seem to be dealing with.
Gary

Jimmie

Reaction score
Perfect advice from the guys above about getting it submerged. You don't want that fast water swinging it to the top. In that fast of water I don't try to retrieve it. In fact I'll do the opposite, and let the current take out more line once in awhile (I've been all the way to the backing when I've hooked-up, 90'). When you do bring it in check to make sure the tail isn't fouled around the point, or it's got stuff on it. My catch rate went way up when I started checking/shapening the hooks on my buggers.

TexUte Fly

Reaction score
i do use a sink tip, not sure they weight or anything. i think it was a 30-40$ line by S.A. also i use 5x because thats the highest lb i have, guess ill go to the shop and buy some 1-3x or so too then i can try some still water stuff.

jimmie-- your saying let it get down stream from me and let it act like its swimming in the current letting it go further down slowly? to do this would i need a streamer that imitates a fish and not a leech? (i think thats what a wooly bugger is no?)

ive only been fishing the provo river right now which is a brown trout river. i assume i should probably go buy some brown trout patterns. what els would be a good idea?

bhflyfisher

Reaction score
Try something bigger then size 8. A bigger fly with movement attracts more attention, i've fished size 2/0-4 with good results. Cast across stream, and violently retrieve the fly in. With a sink tip line of course.

Jimmie

Reaction score
jimmie-- your saying let it get down stream from me and let it act like its swimming in the current letting it go further down slowly? to do this would i need a streamer that imitates a fish and not a leech? (i think thats what a wooly bugger is no?)
Yes, exactly, but let me tell you that I'm probably the last guy on here that should offer advice. This is just what worked for me in really fast current. When I just let swing at the end of the line I did sort of envision a baitfish. Aiming the rod tip left then right while it's swimming in the current worked good too.

mcnerney

Administrator
Reaction score
Mac: Here is a Kelly Galloup video that might help.
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70j92LJjhNE]YouTube - ‪Kelly Galloup fishing on the Madison‬‏[/ame]

Larry

fyshstykr

Reaction score
Mac,:)
As cold and high as our water is right now you need to have a pretty slow retrieve, these fish still aren't moving very fast. Search for structure where the fish get out of the heavier current.

Are you fishing the middle section?

TexUte Fly

Reaction score
Mac,:)
As cold and high as our water is right now you need to have a pretty slow retrieve, these fish still aren't moving very fast. Search for structure where the fish get out of the heavier current.

Are you fishing the middle section?
yep middle, theres one bend i like up at the bunny farm, and on the other side of the road that first very slow bend. also on that same side theres a hole i know for when i get frustrated and just wanna catch a fish i go to. and then up by the dam theres a couple spots i go.
when i go somewhere new alone i dont feel confident so i tend to give up on that spot a little faster than i should. i feel like im no expert and may be fishing a spot where theres no fish if i dont get a bit within 10-20 min
i know the rivers are super high right now, and ive been wanting to do some still water but have no clue where to begin

al_a

Reaction score
I love fishing streamers, and in fact will often keep fishing a streamer even if fish are rising to dry flies. I just have more confidence in catching bigger fish on streamers. Also, I am a smallmouth bass angler at heart, and I like throwing "meat".

But one thing...you gotta believe. There are plenty of days when you're only going to catch a few fish on streamers, though they might be big ones.

The quartering downstream cast is the easiest way of fishing streamers, especially if the fish are really on them. I like to have my streamer pointed at least partially upstream. The quartering downstream cast means the streamer usually swings out and down but with any strip or twitch it darts more or less upstream. This is a natural swimming motion for baitfish and many other aquatic organisms. Other than that, just keep varying your streamer movements until something happens. In moving water, let the current swing the streamer out, trying it with no strips or twitches, just a smooth outward swing away from the bank. Then try letting it swing out but adding some very short, gentle twitches, not strips, just keeping the same amount of line out and twitching the rod tip. Then harder, longer twitches. Then short strips. Then longer strips. Vary the cadence as well. Sooner or later a fish will take it and then you have a good starting point for what's working that day.

Also, don't be afraid to dead drift streamers. I like to dead drift through a deep run, with a few twitches at the end of the drift when the streamer starts to swing or rise off the bottom. Or dead drift except adding just an occasional twitch or gentle lift of the rod during the drift.

A fish taking the streamer will manifest as a twitch, jerk, and or just some weight on the end of the line. You'll end up setting the hook into a snag or rock now and then, but if something feels funny or the line does something funny, set.

wt bash

Reaction score
It may sound goofy but if all else fails really rip one through, tuck your rod under one arm and double hand strip FAST! I've watched countless trout follow looking like they mean business but never hit after seeing that a few times I'll rip that streamer through and crack! Game on!

TexUte Fly

Reaction score
I love fishing streamers, and in fact will often keep fishing a streamer even if fish are rising to dry flies. I just have more confidence in catching bigger fish on streamers. Also, I am a smallmouth bass angler at heart, and I like throwing "meat".

But one thing...you gotta believe. There are plenty of days when you're only going to catch a few fish on streamers, though they might be big ones.

The quartering downstream cast is the easiest way of fishing streamers, especially if the fish are really on them. I like to have my streamer pointed at least partially upstream. The quartering downstream cast means the streamer usually swings out and down but with any strip or twitch it darts more or less upstream. This is a natural swimming motion for baitfish and many other aquatic organisms. Other than that, just keep varying your streamer movements until something happens. In moving water, let the current swing the streamer out, trying it with no strips or twitches, just a smooth outward swing away from the bank. Then try letting it swing out but adding some very short, gentle twitches, not strips, just keeping the same amount of line out and twitching the rod tip. Then harder, longer twitches. Then short strips. Then longer strips. Vary the cadence as well. Sooner or later a fish will take it and then you have a good starting point for what's working that day.

Also, don't be afraid to dead drift streamers. I like to dead drift through a deep run, with a few twitches at the end of the drift when the streamer starts to swing or rise off the bottom. Or dead drift except adding just an occasional twitch or gentle lift of the rod during the drift.

A fish taking the streamer will manifest as a twitch, jerk, and or just some weight on the end of the line. You'll end up setting the hook into a snag or rock now and then, but if something feels funny or the line does something funny, set.
the reason im interested in streamers is i grew up saltwater fishing and am used to soft plastics and having all that fun. just wish i had someone to show me :( i went out yesterday but snapped my fly off casting and couldnt find it behind me anywhere. so i had to go back to nymph (i dont know why i only carry one streamer) and i caught a hunch back brown ha! had a HUUUUGE back, then normal tail. hopefully i get one here soon, i think ill stop in the shop soon and talk to the guys about what ones to try out here.