The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-20-2011, 01:53 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough
Default Streamers

so ive made it my goal to catch my next fish on a streamer, well been 4 days out now and no fish. maybe one hit but i dont think it was a hit. i use a 6wt, i should feel the hit pretty hard right?

now im not the best caster out there, but i can get it out 30-40ft 3 out of 5 times. (which is what i need to cast across the part im trying) im using a black wooly bugger size 8 with 5x tippet. ive been told this is a go to streamer for trout.

i try to cast it out into the grass/slow water on the other side do a quick mend and strip in about 6" at a time. but the water is moving pretty fast right now and my streamer is soon swimming upstream. is this bad? also if i dont make it as far as i want or im still in the current i still try to fish it anyway. is this a waste? anyone got a free book, video, or podcast they can show me about streamers? i really wanna get something on one. i know there is some big fish in here and i want to get into some. i love having a fish that will pull out my drag.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:13 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future
Default Re: Streamers

One of the classic ways to fish a streamer is to cast it downstream and across from your position at about a 45 degree angle from you as you are facing downstream. Often, it is unnecessary - in very fast water - to strip line as your fly swings across the creek/stream/river. Once it comes to rest below you, you can start to strip it in as you've been doing. In very slow water, you might try stripping line as the fly is doing its swing.

Fish often take the fly at the very end of its swing, so be ready!

Good luck, Gary

Last edited by gt05254; 05-20-2011 at 02:39 PM.
Old 05-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mac: When streamer fishing I like sink tip lines or intermediate sinking lines, currently I'm using a 250 grain sink tip on my 7 wt rod and an intermediate sinking line on my 6 wt. You can get by with a floating line but then I would switch to a weighted streamer, the whole idea is to get the fly down as fast as possible. When tossing streamers the fish will hit the fly hard, there is nothing dainty about it, so I wouldn't use 5x tippet. I usually use this setup: 18 inches of 20 lb mono followed by 18" of 10-12 lb mono. Black wooly buggers are a good start, but if you aren't getting strikes, then change the retrieve/pause rates and then try changing up the color.

Larry

Old 05-20-2011, 02:38 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

Good points about the sink tips, Larry, especially in the heavy water we all seem to be dealing with.
Gary
Old 05-20-2011, 02:40 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Perfect advice from the guys above about getting it submerged. You don't want that fast water swinging it to the top. In that fast of water I don't try to retrieve it. In fact I'll do the opposite, and let the current take out more line once in awhile (I've been all the way to the backing when I've hooked-up, 90'). When you do bring it in check to make sure the tail isn't fouled around the point, or it's got stuff on it. My catch rate went way up when I started checking/shapening the hooks on my buggers.
Old 05-20-2011, 03:36 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

i do use a sink tip, not sure they weight or anything. i think it was a 30-40$ line by S.A. also i use 5x because thats the highest lb i have, guess ill go to the shop and buy some 1-3x or so too then i can try some still water stuff.

jimmie-- your saying let it get down stream from me and let it act like its swimming in the current letting it go further down slowly? to do this would i need a streamer that imitates a fish and not a leech? (i think thats what a wooly bugger is no?)

ive only been fishing the provo river right now which is a brown trout river. i assume i should probably go buy some brown trout patterns. what els would be a good idea?
Old 05-20-2011, 04:47 PM

bhflyfisher has a spectacular aura aboutbhflyfisher has a spectacular aura about

Try something bigger then size 8. A bigger fly with movement attracts more attention, i've fished size 2/0-4 with good results. Cast across stream, and violently retrieve the fly in. With a sink tip line of course.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:55 PM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by mac. View Post
jimmie-- your saying let it get down stream from me and let it act like its swimming in the current letting it go further down slowly? to do this would i need a streamer that imitates a fish and not a leech? (i think thats what a wooly bugger is no?)
Yes, exactly, but let me tell you that I'm probably the last guy on here that should offer advice. This is just what worked for me in really fast current. When I just let swing at the end of the line I did sort of envision a baitfish. Aiming the rod tip left then right while it's swimming in the current worked good too.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:34 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

Here are some podcasts that might help you out. If you search through them you will find some on streamers.

Orvis Podcasts - Fly Fishing Guide and Double Barrel
Old 05-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Mac: Here is a Kelly Galloup video that might help.

Larry