The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-02-2010, 11:01 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Out And About In Southeast Idaho

Just thought I'd post some pics from recent outings by myself and my son and his buddies from the past month or so. We usually get out quite often, and to a variety of good fishing waters. We live in the heart of some of the most famous flyfishing country in the world and consider ourselves blessed to have so many great options. The South Fork of the Snake River is just 5 to 15 minutes away; the lower Henry's Fork is as close as 35 minutes with the famed Railroad Ranch section in Island Park about 1 hour from our home. Henry's Lake is just a bit further up the road and we can be there in about 1 1/2 hours. Then there is Yellowstone Park, the Madison, and, and, and...

Our favorite is a spring creek fairly close to home that holds some phenominal Browns along with a few Cutts of gargantuan size. When we need a flyfishing 'fix' we load up and are there within an hour.

Anyway, just thought we would share a few of our adventures of the recent past along with those to come. Hope you enjoy it.

Sasha posted a recent trip he took to a wonderful little spring creek out in the middle of nowhere, so I thought I'd start with some pics of a recent trip to that same water by my son and friend.

Where we fish:
Click the image to open in full size.

Another look:

This crane was none too appreciative of the trespass:

What we catch - born and raised in this river:

And then there is a resident Brookie population also:

Can you believe the size of the fly this one took?!:

A double - number two for the day:

Let's shift gears now and go visit one of our favorite early-season streams that holds a tremendous Cutthroat population.

Where we fish - looking downriver. Somewhere atop the Island Park plateau:

Where we fish - looking upriver:

Another look - man, are we blessed!:

What we catch - Yellowstone Cutthroat trout:

Another look:

This one is about as good as it gets:

Another look:

A smooth release:

Any question as to why they're called 'Cutthroats'?:

The grin says it all:

Once again we'll shift gears and drop off of the Island Park plateau to the lower Henry's Fork.

It was an angry day on the river:

Your's truly, with one of the few I caught:

I'll continue with a second post to finish this thread...

Kelly.

Last edited by kglissmeyer1; 09-21-2010 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:03 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Out And About In Southeast Idaho

Out And About In Southeast Idaho, part II:

And, last, but not least, our favorite spring creek just this past Monday:

Where we fish - Kelly's No-Tellum Spring Creek:

What we catch - Browns:

Another look:

And, another nice fish:

And, Cutts:

Another look - note the amber scud in the upper lip:

Well, that was it for now. Hope you enjoyed the post as much as we did making it happen.

Tight lines!

Kelly.

Last edited by kglissmeyer1; 06-02-2010 at 11:26 AM.
Old 06-02-2010, 11:13 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

That is a very pretty place with some very nice fish. Enjoyed the pics. Thanks.
Old 06-02-2010, 05:38 PM

futuramille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud offuturamille has much to be proud of

Your in heaven!
Old 06-02-2010, 07:37 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Kelly: You are indeed blessed to live in SE ID, the rivers there are just absolutely beautiful, thanks for sharing the photos!

Larry
Old 06-03-2010, 12:29 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Kellyy, It is nice to see you posting reports over here too. Next time I head out in your direction I will let you know. My last trip was sort of a last minute thing.
Old 06-03-2010, 08:28 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Nice report and pics Kelly, you're certainly in trout heaven...

Dan
Old 06-03-2010, 10:20 AM

kingfish87 is on a distinguished road

Great stuff ! Really great waters and fish. You are obviously living right, so keep up the good work and thanks for posting.
Old 06-03-2010, 09:30 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

That's why I love ID. And we'll be up there at D this weekend. Hope to meet Lynn S at Henrys in a couple weeks. There's a couple of guys I met up at the Expo in April that fish chirono exclusivly at Henry's. Great guys and I think they have cabins up there. For the life of me, I can't remember their names. I think you know who they are too. I got to fish with those two. It would be a blast. All three of us surrounding Tupper and throwing Clousers at him
Old 06-03-2010, 11:25 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

WOW!!! Spectacular trout, and scenery!!! There must be a downside to living
in an area like that. If not, I'll be moving....soon!