The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2011, 12:15 AM

wmcfall is on a distinguished road
Smile New Zealand Fly Fishing

Just got back from my annual trip to the South Island of New Zealand. Fishing was great this year, topping the list of memories was a 9 lb Brown on my 5 wt St. Croix Legend rod taken on the Ahurriri River. He fell for a size 14 parachute black gnat. My net was a bit small for the critter!

Another nice one was a 7 lb Brown on the Waikaia River, followed by a 6 lb just a little further upstream. These were fooled by titanium beaded hares ears, size 18. Such fun! Many more rainbows and browns were taken in the 3 to 5 lb class

Regretablly, we must sell our place and the campervan due to changing priorities in the grandkid department. If you know of anyone interested, check out my website or call me in Boise at 208 342 4530.
Old 05-22-2011, 01:37 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: New Zealand Fly Fishing

Beautiful fish and home! If I could swing it I would be spending the winters in New Zealand, the rivers and fish look just great I hope you find a buyer, 160 seems a deal.

Since you're back in the states you should consider visiting our forum as a regular. We have a lot of members and someone just may find your place to their liking.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 05-23-2011, 11:18 AM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

Would love to see some pictures of your trip and the fish you caught!

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 05-24-2011, 12:35 AM

I posted some pictures in the gallery...check out:

Fly Fishing Worldwide - My Photo Gallery
Old 05-24-2011, 09:03 AM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmcfall View Post
I posted some pictures in the gallery...check out:

Fly Fishing Worldwide - My Photo Gallery
Amazing! I have traveled abroad a few times, but have yet to actually get to fish abroad. This would be a true dream trip! Glad you had fun!

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 05-24-2011, 09:19 PM

Well you should try it. Fishing in New Zealand is a very pleasant experience for several reasons. For one, the access opportunities are much more readily available than here in the States. Although most of the ripairan land is private, the farmers are easily approached and they usually welcome the chance to chat with a Yankee.

I use a NZ map program on my laptop tied into my GPS so I always know where I am and the program has sufficient detail to allow me to find rivers that are off the beaten path and not readily accessible by the casual drive-by fisher person.

You can always hire a guide, but I get my kicks doing it on my own. I enjoy exploring and I relish the absence of human footprints. Of course this leads to some fishing that isn't topline, but when you find an area that is first rate, the experience is hard to beat.

All said...I think the country, the people, the natural beauty, and of course the fishing should make it a high priority for anyone that likes to experience something new. I have often thought that New Zealand South Island is like turning the clock back to what it used to be like here in the 1920s.

..."dreaming is the first stage of making something wonderful happen" ...

Cheers, Warren