The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2010, 05:58 AM

patyer is on a distinguished road
Default Fish ID needed.....

Can anyone confirm the species of this fish? I originally thought it was some kind of color washed out trout but after looking around nothing seems to be really matching up so I'm not sure. I caught one and hooked another while fishing for shad down on Deer Creek in Maryland. Thanks for any help.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 06-08-2010, 06:19 AM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Fish ID needed.....

Looks like a washed out trout to me, or an extremely larger dace
Old 06-08-2010, 09:04 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Trout yes, species..............General morphology is that of rainbow; could be hybridized or just genetic malady causing lack of coloration. The only picture giving a fair view of the back shows more rounded black spots than elongated which would point to brook trout. The fish is an example of a hatchery reared trout and given enough time in a wild habitat these often mature and take on more natural coloration relative to the species.

Given the fact that the pictures are all we have my guess is rainbow sub adult. When you find another with poor coloration try to focus on the back and the fins where some color and tell tail markings are present.

PS. Remember I am not a fisheries biologist and this was a sort of pop quiz

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;

Last edited by Hardyreels; 06-08-2010 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Post Script
Old 06-08-2010, 10:09 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

I go along with Ard's answer, stocker rainbow...

Dan
Old 06-08-2010, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

Yup, I agree with Ard and Dan. Here's a link to a MD DNR page, note that the coloration of the same strain of rainbow from different hatcheries can be very different and the red lateral stripe characteristic of rainbows tends to be faint in MD 'bows.

Maryland DNR - Fisheries Service - Fish Facts: Rainbow Trout
Old 06-08-2010, 01:34 PM

patyer is on a distinguished road

I too originally thought it was a really faded Rainbow but when I showed a friend yesterday he said it looked like it had some brook trout in it. The river is stocked with Rainbows a few miles up river so that makes sense. Thanks guys.
Old 06-08-2010, 05:51 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute

patyer

Brook Trout are actually "Char" rather than "Trout" (along with Lake Trout, Dolly Varden, Arctic Char and others) Like all char they have light spots on a dark background, so they should be easy to recognize. You may run into some beautiful brightly colored wild ones especially if you fish the upper reaches of mountain streams.

Rainbows and Browns will have dark spots on a lighter background.

Here's a chart from PA's Fish and Game that might help you ID some more of the critters you'll be catching soon. Pennsylvania and WV also stock (or used to stock) a hatchery Franken-Fish "Golden Rainbow" color morph of the rainbow that you may run into in PA or WV, but they usually don't last too long in the wild after stocking since they are very vulnerable to predators.

Old 06-08-2010, 06:56 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Th coloring looks faded, possibly Tiger trout?
Old 06-08-2010, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Well this turned out to be an interesting thread; remember that word hybrid when looking at a trout that does not seem to have any dominant coloration. When this occurs one of the most fool proof ways to identify the fish is to count the rays in the dorsal and caudal fins. When the back can be examined remember that the spots on almost all trout are essentially round where the brook trout, [Salvelinus fontinalis] or more accurately the Char have more elongated markings often referred to as a "wormiated" pattern of spots. I was looking at the shape of the head, the upper and lower mandibles in particular. That is what brought out my initial rainbow answer.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-12-2010, 08:51 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Brook, rainbow..... it still looks delicious.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog