The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree313Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-03-2012, 01:44 PM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Brook Trout Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghocevar View Post
Here's a little guy from my outing this weekend...

Click the image to open in full size.
Is it just the way the fish has its tail or does that fish have a forked tail!? That's a great photo!
jpbfly likes this.
Old 10-03-2012, 04:01 PM

ghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud ofghocevar has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didgeridoo View Post
Is it just the way the fish has its tail or does that fish have a forked tail!? That's a great photo!
I think that is just the way he was swimming. The fork wasn't that pronounced when I was holding him to remove the hook.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:53 AM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

That is a shot beautiful shot , i love brook trout .
Old 10-04-2012, 12:56 PM

nrp5087 will become famous soon enoughnrp5087 will become famous soon enough

That is one of the most beautiful fish i have ever seen nice colors
Old 10-04-2012, 01:32 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Greg, that's an awesome shot! Vibrant colors and a perfect perspective to get a great reflection in the water's surface.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-07-2012, 02:09 PM

Didgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to beholdDidgeridoo is a splendid one to behold

So it's not technically a photo but I figured it belonged in this topic. Just finished a drawing a Coaster Brookie from the North Shore of Lake Superior.

Click the image to open in full size.

Apologies for the crappy image. It's a photo taken with my iPhone of the drawing. I'll be getting it high res scanned shortly.

What is a “Coaster Brook Trout”?

A potamodromous population (migrating from rivers to a freshwater lake and back for spawning) in Lake Superior is known as coaster trout or, simply, as coasters that live throughout the year in the lake and migrate into tributaries to spawn in the fall. These fish are unique in that there is no genetic difference from the migratory brookies and the stream resident brookies. Biologists haven’t been able to figure out what causes or triggers the coasters to exit the tributaries. They are characterized by the silvery colour they possess while in the lake and the large sizes they obtain which is primarily due to the higher concentration of food in the lake. They develop the typical brook trout colouring when they enter the rivers to spawn in the fall.

This unique variant of brook trout is isolated to Nipigon Bay in Lake Superior, with only a few tributaries that are visited by spawning coasters. The Nipigon River below Alexander Dam still remains to be the biggest producer of coaster brook trout. Trout Unlimited Canada purchased a property just north of the town of Nipigon to help preserve one of the largest known spawning areas of the coasters. This property is known as Gapen’s Pool, and is one of the most important spawning areas left within the coaster’s range. As of now there is no estimates as to how many coasters are left but due to recent regulation changes and new, slot and catch limits, the future looks good for this unique population.

The world record Brook Trout was taken from the Nipigon River in 1916 and was a Coaster Brook Trout variant. This fish weighed in at 14.5 pounds!

Last edited by Didgeridoo; 10-07-2012 at 04:03 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:14 PM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Didgeridoo View Post
Apologies for the crappy image. It's a photo taken with my iPhone of the drawing. I'll be getting it high res scanned shortly.
Already outstanding...as usual
Old 10-07-2012, 11:21 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Nick, you are the man! I really love your work... forget having a fish mounted, when I catch a trophy fish, I'm just going to send you a photo and have a drawing done Keep em coming, photo or not!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 10-08-2012, 01:54 AM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Double Gators sentiments! Nick you never cease to amaze! Great picture whether it's on an iPhone or a disposable camera it's beautiful!
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 10-08-2012, 10:52 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Very nice, what media are you using? I need to get back into drawing more.

Storm Drain Bonefisher