The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2011, 07:23 PM

trout2234 is on a distinguished road
Default Montana

What kind of income would you expect a first year guide to make in a year guiding in Montana? Because I'm thinking of going out there after I graduate and guide during the summer and go to college in the fall through spring. Thanks for the replies.

Last edited by trout2234; 06-06-2011 at 07:26 PM. Reason: spelling error
Old 06-06-2011, 09:17 PM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Montana

Most of the shops here pride themselves on how long their guides have been fishing on the local water. Many grew up on these waters.

You'll need to get hooked up with a good shop.. that has the bookings and depending on the river, slots to fish those rivers.

Which college? You might start contacting a few see what they say.. or start working in the shop and work into a part time guiding position.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:01 PM

Location: Bozeman, MT and Sheridan, WY but now Houston, Texas
MTskibum has a spectacular aura aboutMTskibum has a spectacular aura about

There are quite a few people that want to be guides in montana. I even know people who have been working at Montana fly shops for years, and still unable to get a guiding job. Not to mention you need to be certified before you are allowed to guide on Montana rivers.

Also, like Dhayden said, most guides around year have had hundreds of days on the river that they guide.

If you want to fish out west for a summer, my recommendation would be just getting a job in montana, wyoming, or idaho, and fishing like crazy in your time off.

Montana gets all of the fame, but the fishing in wyoming and idaho is just as good if not better. And the unemployment numbers in wyoming are better than the numbers in montana.

Good luck.
Old 06-11-2011, 04:04 PM

flyfishoutdoors is on a distinguished road

i an attest that Montana is a great place to fly fish. You could research how to become a guide, or look for an existing guiding service.
Old 06-11-2011, 05:49 PM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout2234 View Post
What kind of income would you expect a first year guide to make in a year guiding in Montana? Because I'm thinking of going out there after I graduate and guide during the summer and go to college in the fall through spring. Thanks for the replies.
<$10,000/year
Old 06-11-2011, 08:35 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

First you will have to get your foot in the door with somebody. Being a new guide without experience the trips you will get are going to be over flow. The experienced guides will be booked first. You'll want to get your own boat too, the shop won't supply one. Unless you planning on just wade trips. Given all the high water out west this year you will be looking at a short season too!! I'm guessing if all works out you would be looking at part time work and making $5000.00 or less.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 06-11-2011, 09:46 PM

trout2234 is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies guys, I was just looking for some input and ideas.