The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2011, 03:53 PM

damod is on a distinguished road
Unhappy A Lesson in Humility

Since I was young the fly rod has been my trusty ally. I grew up in southern illinois where I spent most of my time warm water fishing. I could go out and catch fish all day every day (which was probably more because I knew where a lot of the holes were back then) no problem with my trusty rig and started regarding myself as something of a talented fisherman.

A few years ago I moved out to Wyoming after accepting a job offer to which I am still employed. My whole life I had dreams of fishing trout on a cold water stream (and watched it often on TV) and figured it would be no problem with my previous experience fly fishing. I couldn't wait and as soon as conditions (and my schedule) permitted I gathered up my gear and an assortment of flies and took to the river with my head held high.

I went down to the river with a buddy of mine who had never been fly fishing before and after teaching him the basic fly cast took to fishing myself. Sure I awed him with a nice smooth cast and precision accuracy....

The problem was.... after the fly hit the water I soon realized.... I had no idea what the heck I was doing.. I didn't know how to mend, my presentation was sloppy and I had no idea how to fly fish with any sort of noticeable current and needless to say I didn't catch a darn thing all day.

That was 6 years ago... to this day I still have not caught a single fish on the river... although, I still try as often as I can....

I know there are fish in there... I know people have caught them... just not me..

Last edited by damod; 06-08-2011 at 04:24 PM.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:07 PM

rrarods is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Lesson in Humility

I understand how you feel! I have been flyfishing for a while not but by no means consider myself very great. Small trout streams and brookies I always killed it. Just this year I ventured into the under water wet fly game and thought I would pick it up no problem. Well 6 months later I have caught very few fish and am still at a loss as to what to do and how half the time. I have been out on the water with several people I know and watched them haul in fish after fish and I caught none. They watched me and said, "well it looks good to me! Not sure why your not catching fish!" While that was some consolation as to my technique it was none as far as the amount of fish in my hands! I have read several books now and each time feel like I am getting better even though I still catch very few fish. I am constantly frustrated with it and just keep waiting for the dry flys to come out! For some reason the little streams just make sense to me. Fishing bigger water just seems out of reach for me because I just can't tell whats going on underneath.
It is all a struggle and it is really a good thing that a bad day on the water is still better than a great day at work!

Custom Rods You Can Afford to Fish
www.rollingriveranglers.com
Old 06-08-2011, 05:00 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

damod: Where are you located in WY, I'm in Laramie, maybe we could hook up once runoff completes, right now the rivers are pretty blown out. I don't profess to be an expert but I now the basics and catch more than my share of fish.

One thing about rivers, you have to read the water and figure out where the fish would likely be holding (read a good book on the subject). If you blind cast all over the chances of catching anything is nil. The next step would be to learn something about that river you want to fish, talk to a local fly shop or go on their website and look at their river reports and hatch charts. A good example is the North Platte Fly Shop in Casper, WY, they will tell you what the flow is and what flies to use.

Larry

Old 06-08-2011, 05:51 PM

damod is on a distinguished road

mcnerney: I'm located in Evanston all the way on the other side of the state. One thing you'll learn about me is I'm always down to fish ..

I don't think I'm an expert fly fisher by any means... I just have a good cast and know how to catch large mouth, bluegill, crappie etc.

You are right of course.. I pretty well just cast anywhere I think there might be a fish... I do try the slow spots though.. behind rocks and in deeper spots where the current sort of swirls a bit.. but really I've gotta be doing something (probably a lot of things) wrong or else I'd be catching fish.. The local fly shop here (more like a gun and tackle shop with less of a fly selection than wal-mart) is owned by a guy that I don't even think fly fishes. I think that because I've tried asking him and he really didn't have the foggiest idea what I should use or where I should go (although he did turn me on to a nice small mouth hole at sulfur creek reservoir which I thanked him for later).

I was told (by an Attorney down the road who is an avid fly fisherman) to avoid the Bear River (where I usually go) all together.. Which in hindsight is probably advice I should have taken... A buddy of mine however fishes it every now and again and caught some beautiful browns last year.

Anyway, I'll take your advice and find myself some info if I can once the river stops flowing like the wrath of god. Perhaps we could hook up, I was planning on spending a couple days on the Green River this year, perhaps I'll have better luck there.
Old 06-08-2011, 06:29 PM

araitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nicearaitim is just really nice

i too am in a simmilar situation. i have been fishing behind my house on the Grand River for bass, pike, croppy and blue gill and have done fairly well. Reciently i started hitting the cold streams in persuit of trout and of the 3 times iv been out iv caught THREE!!!! 2 were the first time out one was the second time out and over last weekend i was out for over 9 hours and caught NOTHING. iv read some good books on where the fish are and everything and seen the trout riseing but nothing, needless to say i went home pissed.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:30 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

damod, ive just started to fly fish this summer. and im sorta in the same boat as you. i can catch saltwater fish all day and find them always. if im in a spot on the river i dont know, i might catch 1 fish. a couple things i have learned to do if im not catching.

add more weight, once runoff began my catch rate went way down, from 4-5 to lucky if i got 1. i talked to the shop here and they told me to add more weight even though i was already on the bottom. my rate went back up to 4-5 fish a day now.

also if your using a strike indicator move it around. sometimes i wont be catching any fish and i adjust it by 6" and start catching fish again.

and last ive learned the browns here will target maybe 1 pattern a day. so if i try the ones above and nothing still ill throw on 2 different flies till i get something they want.
Old 06-08-2011, 09:30 PM

rrarods is on a distinguished road

Demod id sure love some advice on. Bluegill,crappie, and bass. I have some ponds a few miles from my house that are packed but I haven't had a lot of luck!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Custom Rods You Can Afford to Fish
www.rollingriveranglers.com
Old 06-09-2011, 12:13 AM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by damod View Post
mcnerney: I'm located in Evanston all the way on the other side of the state. One thing you'll learn about me is I'm always down to fish ..

I don't think I'm an expert fly fisher by any means... I just have a good cast and know how to catch large mouth, bluegill, crappie etc.

You are right of course.. I pretty well just cast anywhere I think there might be a fish... I do try the slow spots though.. behind rocks and in deeper spots where the current sort of swirls a bit.. but really I've gotta be doing something (probably a lot of things) wrong or else I'd be catching fish.. The local fly shop here (more like a gun and tackle shop with less of a fly selection than wal-mart) is owned by a guy that I don't even think fly fishes. I think that because I've tried asking him and he really didn't have the foggiest idea what I should use or where I should go (although he did turn me on to a nice small mouth hole at sulfur creek reservoir which I thanked him for later).

I was told (by an Attorney down the road who is an avid fly fisherman) to avoid the Bear River (where I usually go) all together.. Which in hindsight is probably advice I should have taken... A buddy of mine however fishes it every now and again and caught some beautiful browns last year.

Anyway, I'll take your advice and find myself some info if I can once the river stops flowing like the wrath of god. Perhaps we could hook up, I was planning on spending a couple days on the Green River this year, perhaps I'll have better luck there.
Damod: OK sounds good, once the flows go down, send me a PM and we can meet for some fishing over on the Green. For me it is a four hour drive. I have a drift boat so we could do a float on the A section (dam to Little Hole). Lots of fish on that section, I should be able to get you on plenty of fish.

Larry