The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 12:39 AM

pastor dave is on a distinguished road
Default Mayfly Hatch

Hey I am new to the forum, and new to fly fishing. I have been doing a lot of research online to try to learn as much as possible about the sport. I was out today at my favorite trout pond and there was a pretty big mayfly hatch coming off the water. I am just wondering what is your favorite fly to use during mayfly hatches?
Old 06-09-2011, 12:50 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Mayfly Hatch

Do your best to match color and size. Most stillwater mayflies are of the Callibaetis species. They have a grayish body. Hook size for adults will range from 16 to 20. A generic dry fly like an Adams or the parachute variant of it will work fine.

Dennis
Old 06-09-2011, 08:20 AM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I carry a few different patterns, but fish Blue-Winged Olive, Adams, and Light Cahills. I also use deer or elk hair Caddis, and have lately been using X-Caddis flies. The X-Caddis has the fish going nuts! I narrowed down my dry flies after
reading an article by Lefty Kreh 5-6 years ago. He uses Adams for dark flies, and Light Cahills for light flies. Dave Hughes also recommends these two flies, along with the blue-winged olive for a simplified dry fly selection. I tie 99.9% of my Adams, Cahills, and BWO's parachute style. Parachute allows the body to sit in the water, and that's how I see most insects.
Old 06-09-2011, 09:25 AM

Jimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant futureJimmie has a brilliant future

I agree with MP and FB2. I personally tie the para. style, BUT Tues. night we tied Sparkle Duns, and Comparaduns, which are suppose to be another good mayfly pattern.