The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree558Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2011, 11:26 AM

sedgehammer will become famous soon enoughsedgehammer will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Small stream Stories and Pictures;

"...envious of the US streams living in Canada with those brookies and rainbows???"

I know sounds kind of funny, but seriously to get to a stream with wild brookies and rainbows takes at least 5 hours from where I live (and thats only the one of the three streams within a 5 hour radius of my place, with the other two completely comprised of stocked fish). And to get to the real trophy wild brook trout waters, well that would be an adventure of at least 13 hours of treacherous roads.

Most of the prairies creeks here cannot sustain trout, unfortunately.

And yeah thats a tiger (stocked though)
Old 10-03-2011, 11:07 AM

williamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond reputewilliamhj has a reputation beyond repute

I got to do some fishing and exploring this weekend. Went up into the mountains with the family for a get-away and loved seeing the Fall colors in the Rockies. We did some hiking and I wet my line here and there.

One of the hikes we took, near Frisco, followed a beautiful little creek. I didn't get a chance to fish it, but hope to go back with my small stream rod and a buddy to see what's holding in the little pools.

Click the image to open in full size.

The fishing I got to do was on a small stream that flows near the condo where we stayed. As I've explored this stream, I've been amazed by the 4+ foot deep holes that have been carved out and the number of trout holding throughout the stream. Over the past few months I've pulled some nice rainbows, brookies, and browns from this stream. I didn't catch too many this time, but pulled in a few, including this nice one who took a 16 olive comaradun drifted over his hole. He put a nice bend in my newly built 7'6" 3wt.

I look forward to getting out there again, hopefully soon.
Old 11-04-2011, 06:46 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Taken in mid September. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 11-05-2011, 01:21 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Hi Milt
Nice wee stream and beautiful brown
Old 12-05-2011, 10:36 PM

knik is on a distinguished road

Here are a few pics from East Tn. in the GSMNP, the park is absolutely a jewel of the south. Never spent any time in the park until I took up the fly, what a shame ......... but I'm hooked now and spend most of my free time there. Never thought I could enjoy a little ole 6" brookie so much, but when you throw in all the scenery... cool mountain water... rain forest environment... and gorgeous little trout, what's not to enjoy.

First trip out after brookies with the new rod. Caught 3 from this little spot, used the rock as my hide.

Here is a larger stream during the dry months, just a little to low in elev. for the brookies though.

Things that like to hang out on the rocks.....

Love this stream, it has both brookies and bows

Just to clarify, the pic. with the bows on the stringer, I only do that in brookie waters. There are so many trout in some of the streams that the competition for food has to be high, just trying to give the brookies the upper hand on their home turf. Besides, it didn't cost the park a dime or involve poison. I never keep brookies, they are just to darn beautiful.
jk 8 likes this.
Old 12-05-2011, 11:32 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Milt,

Very nice spot, gotta love the lantern.

Knik,

Beautiful, ever find your way to Abrams Creek? I especially enjoyed the Eastern Timber Rattler shot. The last time I fished Abrams I found a big yellow phase and a bunch of brookies too...................

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 12-06-2011, 08:49 AM

knik is on a distinguished road

Hr........ haven't made it over to Abrams yet, but it is on the list. Was up on the Russian back in August for the first time and fell in love with it too, fished for 2 weeks all the way up to the Chena, but the Russian was the only one not blown out. The "Fly" sure has opened up a whole new world to me.
Old 12-06-2011, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Great shots folks.

Post #38, pic #3 blows my mind! I thought it was a painting and had to take several double takes. Wonderful shot Creeker.

Ard, what is the name of that program that converts pics to an oil painting look alike?

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."

Old 12-06-2011, 11:13 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

John, you can do that with a filter inside Adobe Photoshop/Photoshop Elements, but I'm sure other programs exist as well.

Also, I went back and looked at the particular photo you were talking about, that was quite the photo, the colors are amazing! Just a great photo (post 38, photo 3)

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 12-06-2011, 11:43 AM
Super Moderator

fyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond reputefyshstykr has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks AJ, I'll pass that onto Mrs fysh. Thinking it would be fun to goof around with.
I just went back again and had another look at that photo, very nice.

"Whoever said happiness comes with sunshine, has never known a Steelhead fisherman who prays for Fall rains."