The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree450Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2012, 12:26 PM

socalfly is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Small stream Stories and Pictures;

Well here's my closest creek, Big Rock in the San Bernandino's. They stopped stocking it quite some years ago I think so any fish that are left are just naturally reproducing. There's a couple different forks/parts of the creek with one of the bigger one's messed up due to a ton of people coming up in the summer to play in the water. The creek seems to disappear at some parts and then just pop up from springs.

We hiked a large portion of it a couple weeks ago, only caught one fish at the very end that was a decent 11 incher or so. With there being hardly any fish in the creek at all along with deep pools and cover, any fish there is will be spooked very easily.

Also checked it out last spring and caught several small ones. One of the sections that was a really nice creek in the summer/spring was dried up and there was a pool (3rd pic) that had at least like 25 little fry/baby trout in it. Unfortunately there was no way to save them as we didn't have a net that was thin enough.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 01-23-2012, 01:05 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

So in MO, we have certain levels of trout streams. We have trout parks that are stocked daily, then white ribbon water, stocked monthly, red ribbon water, stocked 2-3 times a year, and blue ribbon water, completely wild self sustaining.

This is Blue Springs Creek, a Blue Ribbon stretch only about an hour from downtown St. Louis. it gets fished hard since its the closest to STL but there are still plent y of fish and not a good chance of seeing anyone else there. I went Sunday, it was cool and over cast. Fishing was tough, I saw a bunch of fish, spooked 99% of them, I wasnt expecting them to be THAT spooky. Anyway, I brought 2 to hand, my first wild rainbows in MO. Enjoy the photos.

Caught my first one from in front of this log.

First one, thought it was a minnow at first glance haha

See the minnows?? they are everywhere

Second fish

madjoni likes this.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-23-2012, 01:29 PM

Beautiful colors on those fish and a nice looking stream, must be fun.
Old 01-23-2012, 02:35 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

It was quiet fun. im pretty excited to go back. Plus it was my fish time actually fishing with nymphs so Im sure I missed some I couldnt feel. Indicators are for cheaters :P

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 01-23-2012, 02:53 PM
Joni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond reputeJoni has a reputation beyond repute

This is a wonderful topic. We have several small creeks to choose from. Not sure why we don't more often. Uinta's if full of them.
When we were living with my Dad we were 8 minutes to Millcreek. A little further now but still make the trip.
This year has been easy to get to, but last year at this time there was easy 5 feet of snow

Great place to get away from the city

This guy didn't miss a meal

Old 01-23-2012, 03:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joni View Post
This is a wonderful topic. We have several small creeks to choose from. Not sure why we don't more often. Uinta's if full of them.
When we were living with my Dad we were 8 minutes to Millcreek. A little further now but still make the trip.
This year has been easy to get to, but last year at this time there was easy 5 feet of snow

Great place to get away from the city

This guy didn't miss a meal

Bottom one is pretty plump and round. Almost looked like a bass at first glance.
madjoni likes this.
Old 01-23-2012, 11:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

That's my kind of trout stream Joni, and I agree, the rotund one is living right If that were close to home here and not iced over I'd be there.

---------- Post added at 08:15 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:10 PM ----------

So Cal & Geoff,

Those are a couple of jewels you have access to also, you guys are making me jealous well not really jealous, that doesn't sound very grown up I guess but you've got me looking and remembering my old haunts..............

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 01-25-2012, 10:12 PM

I forgot about the favorite stream I've been to so far. Went up to Horseshoe Meadow and fished Cottonwood Creek this summer.

What's better than being about 10,000 feet in the Eastern Sierras and driving up from the Owen's Valley on a hot summer day watching the temperature drop about 30 degrees in about 45 minutes to a big, lush meadow and catching a bunch of pretty little California golden trout?

sheepdog likes this.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:06 PM

auntrout will become famous soon enough

SoCall, nice Golden. How do get up to Cottonwood Creek. I do a lot of fishing on the Owens but haven't been up to Horseshoe Meadow. Is it park and hike.

Thanks
Old 01-25-2012, 11:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by auntrout View Post
SoCall, nice Golden. How do get up to Cottonwood Creek. I do a lot of fishing on the Owens but haven't been up to Horseshoe Meadow. Is it park and hike.

Thanks
Just outside of Lone Pine, keep driving up Whitney Portal Rd and make a left on Horseshoe Meadows Rd and follow her up for about 45 minutes and you're there. Steep elevation gain and a good amount of switch backs.

Once you're in the main parking lot walk down about 5-10 minutes and you're in the meadow/creek.

But the hike to the lakes is about 8 miles I believe.