The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree562Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 01:07 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Small stream Stories and Pictures;

Yeah, I'd say you are blessed!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 02-11-2012, 01:58 PM

trout2234 is on a distinguished road

A healthy brookie from a small driftless stream
Click the image to open in full size.
The small stream he came from
milt spawn and pbreeden2009 like this.
Old 02-12-2012, 12:07 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Thick and lush, very nice! milt.
Old 02-14-2012, 06:44 PM

trout sniper is on a distinguished road

I agree. That is a super looking trout stream.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:28 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

Here's a success story about one of the little creeks around here.

I got my fly fishing start on this creek years ago. It was the very first place I visited in Shenandoah National Park, and it was before I had even the slightest clue about what I was doing. One year, I asked for a fly rod for Christmas and my folks came through with a 9' 5 weight Cabelas rod and reel. To complete the outfit, I went out and bought a box full of dry flies and the cheapest rubber waders I could find. Then I set my sights on catching some trout in the SNP. It was January, and the creek was mostly frozen, but that didn't stop me from waddling down from Skyline drive in my rubber waders and casting dry flies to half-frozen trout. Needless to say, I took a skunking.

After those first few months, I learned a few things:

1. A 9' 5 weight rod is WAY too big for the tight quarters on these little streams.

B. Trout aren't likely to eat dries when the stream is half iced over.

4. Rubber waders suck.

I went forth with my newly acquired knowledge and began to catch a few fish here and there - but I never went back to my first creek. So this morning I decided to pay her a visit. On the way in, I passed this barn smack in the middle of UVA country. As a Virginia Tech grad, this amused me to no end, and I had a good chuckle. The day was off to a good start.

Part of the reason I never returned here is that this stream suffered major damage in a 1995 flood. Large amounts of rain fell quickly and caused numerous landslides where large chunks of mountain side piled into the hollow below. As it washed downstream, it took tree cover (and shade) with it, channelized the stream bed and decimated the fish population. With so many other opportunities in the Park, it seemed a good one to stay away from. However, in the 17 years since, the stream has begun to heal itself and the fish are making a comeback. I received some intel from a trusted friend that the fishing was pretty good now, so I decided to see for myself. He was right.

It seems as if Mother Nature has been doing a pretty good job of fixing the stream - lots of riffle, run, pool sequences and riparian vegetation. There are still some deep, featureless areas and stretches that won't see much shade in the summer, but it seems to be coming along.

Cookie cutter 6 - 7" fish provided pretty good action as I made my way upstream. They were hunkered down on the bottom and I had to go deep with heavy flies.

And one nicer specimen made the day. It's good to see some nice big, healthy brookies in here and, in time, it should only get better.

The creek flows north to south, roughly parallel with Skyline Drive, and it's not one of the higher gradient streams in the Park. It does have several feeder streams that plunge straight off the mountain before joining the main creek, creating some pretty stunning visuals.

After seeing that from the bottom, I had to climb up there and get a closer view. A big brookie has to live in this plunge pool but I flogged the water for 15 minutes and came up empty. A buddy assures me that there are fish above this point so it stands to reason that they would be here too. I'll have to try it again this spring to see.

I'm excited and encouraged that good fishing has started to return to this creek. It seems like most places these days are getting worse, so it's refreshing to see what can happen when we just leave something alone and let nature take its course. And it's nice to have another creek to put into the rotation.

Old 02-14-2012, 08:37 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

D,

Let me say that this was an interesting read and your pictures are fabulous.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 02-14-2012, 09:02 PM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
D,

Let me say that this was an interesting read and your pictures are fabulous.

Ard
And the "Casting For Recovery" fly as well! milt.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:02 PM

dshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura aboutdshort has a spectacular aura about

Thanks guys. I don't know what it is about that tiny little pink bugger but the brookies seem to like it.
Old 02-14-2012, 11:50 PM

50fish will become famous soon enough50fish will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dshort View Post
Thanks guys. I don't know what it is about that tiny little pink bugger but the brookies seem to like it.
Pink is a great color for native brookies for some reason. I may have to head across the mountain and fish that sometime soon.
Old 02-15-2012, 08:35 AM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by trout2234 View Post
A healthy brookie from a small driftless stream
Where about is that? i've been wanting to hit up the driftless for a while now but have no ideas where to go.

dspot - thats an excellent looking stream. i sure wish brookies where closer. i need to go back to TN to catch em.

Storm Drain Bonefisher