The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree534Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2011, 02:01 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Small stream Stories and Pictures;

Here is my little hideaway but not so secret river. Naturally reproducing brwons and brook trout, all wild and a beautiful place to fish!

Click the image to open in full size.

mcpeterson likes this.
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 06-16-2011, 05:01 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

This is working out well, Great writing and photos and I'll send my Hello to cpiercem! It's great to see new people along with senior members posting and writing

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-19-2011, 12:29 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

This is from 6-18-11

I haven’t really been fishing creeks lately as most everything has been blown out. Stillwaters and a 7wt has been the name of my game recently. As a matter of fact; I postponed my Stillwater trip that was originally slated for today.

My day started pretty early as my destination was a nice little spring creek (that I will not mention by name) less than 30 miles from the Montana border. After I got up, put my stuff in the car and put the dogs out I was on my way. This time it was a solo trip, so I didn’t have to worry about picking anybody up. The other nice aspect of this trip is the fact that my wife and kids are in California. So no having to try to guess at when I would be back.

It was somewhat overcast I made my journey. I past by an awesome tailwater on the way wishing that the flows were in the normal range; if they were I would have fished it tomorrow. Next up I drove past Silver creek; not sure what’s up there but the reports have not been good so far from that place. Once I got to the Craters of the moon national monument, I knew I was making progress. After a quick stop in the town of Arco I was back on my way.

I arrived at the creek at around 0800 or so, got out and started to gear up. While I was getting ready another car pulled in and he started gearing up. We chatted a bit and decided he and his buddy that was on his way would take the section below the bridge and I would take the section above. With that I was on my way.

When I first saw the creek, I remembered why I love fishing these little places. Sure the fish are smaller but that’s not what it is always about. You see I had a pretty long and stressful week at work and this was just what I needed to relieve the stress.

As I waded in, I noticed I spooked about 8 fish…….Oops. I stripped off some line and started casting. After a short time I had my first take. When I landed him, I found it very fitting that this was the first fish of the day.

The next fish from the same run had some shoulders on him….

And the release

After working through several braids of the creek I decided to take a break and just relax for a bit. By this time I had already lost count of how many fish had been landed.

After about 15 minutes I decided to get back to fishing. Almost immediately I was rewarded with this cool little guy.

Now I finally made it to one of my favorite sections of this creek. There are a couple of reasons I like this spot: 1. it is slower and deep 2. The fish in there typically look good and put up a nice fight. Actually all the “larger” guys are quite fun on the 0wt rod.

As I continued my way “up the creek” it was more of the same. You have these runs that hold on average 10 or more fish. What is funny is that while they spook when you wade there, they don’t seem to spook when you hook one of their buddies.

By this time in the day I started to feel rain drops. A quick look and yup a storm was rolling in.

I decided to check the time and it was already 1435. What the hell I thought to myself; I had just fished six straight hours and forgot all about lunch.

I decided to check out another spot which ended up being a great choice. This spot had quite the population going on.

Which way is the water????

Oh there it is.

Continued due to 20 photos per post limit...
jameswwright likes this.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:30 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

I was able to fish it from 1440 until I decided to leave at 1620 and I caught fish the entire time. Now the only reason I decided to leave is because by that time the rain was really starting to come down and I had caught so many that I was just done. Plus I had ran out of powdered floatant (the key to success on this creek. Well with the right flies too). I made it back to the car and took a couple more shots and got geared down.

Oh I almost forgot to add these pics Yes the creek holds more than just rainbows; although one typically will catch about 75% more bows.

Hope you enjoyed the report.
Old 06-19-2011, 01:21 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Great stream & beautiful fishes Sasha,

I used to fish places that were loaded like that in Pennsylvania, yep, Pennsylvania. I'm also real familiar with fish that demand a high floating fly or for whatever reason the catching slows right down. For those places I carried both the coarse dry powder to crush and rub the water & slime out and a bottle of Frogs Fanny to give them the final touch up before I threw them back at the fish. You gotta love a creek that gets you in the frame of mind so that a 12" fish is a trophy and the little guys put up a good fuss when you hook them too

Great report on your creek!

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-19-2011, 06:04 AM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Ardy said it all..but must repeat....GREAT
Old 06-19-2011, 10:05 AM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

Wonderful post, Sasha.

It sure looks like nothing has changed in Idaho. When I lived in Idaho Falls in 1966-1967, if you couldn't catch them on a size 16 yellow humpy, it was time to go home.

Looks like it's still the go to fly.

Chris
Old 06-19-2011, 02:08 PM

ghost_reaper is on a distinguished road

Sasha,

Beautiful pictures. Man that really makes me want to get out and fish. Thank you for sharing.
Old 06-19-2011, 03:25 PM
Banned

Thanks guys, I am glad that I was able to contribute to the thread.

@fishnski guy: The humpys I was using were quite a bit bigger than #16
Old 06-19-2011, 08:53 PM

bow addict has a spectacular aura aboutbow addict has a spectacular aura about

Sasha, your posts make me really miss SE Idaho. What city do you live in?