The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree507Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2011, 02:33 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Small stream Stories and Pictures;

This is "my" brook. It's actually across the street from my house, but I'm pretty sure no one else ever fishes there.
The corridor along the brook along with 6 small reservoirs upstream were recently acquired by the town from the local water company
Early during the industrial revolution there were a dozen water powered mills along this brook's 5 mile course, so there's a pretty good gradient and flow.

Old trolley track abutments
Click the image to open in full size.

Last edited by Rip Tide; 06-20-2011 at 06:21 PM.
Old 06-20-2011, 06:56 PM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

That is a beautiful brook, and amazing that it is so close to home for you. What do you regularly catch there?
Old 06-20-2011, 07:09 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpiercem View Post
What do you regularly catch there?
Brook trout and fall fish (chubs)
Old 06-20-2011, 07:31 PM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Rip Tide,

That looks like a cool little spot. I bet it would be fun as hell to throw one of my 0wt rods there
Old 06-20-2011, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

If I were looking at that out this window now things would be about perfect. I have one a couple miles away in either direction so I better get out and then feed this thread. Great job with your photography and fishing, all of you

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-21-2011, 07:39 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

Rip, you have a beautiful little spot.

Dan
Old 07-04-2011, 02:14 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

It's about time someone adds a stream to this

Old 07-08-2011, 12:26 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

I fished this creek yesterday.

It's the only creek I've found in the whole darn state that isn't blown out due to the monster runoff we have had this year. The reason this creek is fishable is because it does not drain anything above 11,000 feet where most of the really big snow pack still exists. Still, this creek is flowing about 100 CFS when the normal flow this far into summer should be 15-20 CFS.

I fished for four hours and caught 15-20 brookies all 5-9 inches. I have fished this creek 2-3 times a year for four years, and have never caught anything but brookies and never one over 12 inches.

It's a fun creek to fish, and gets very little pressure since it's quite a ways from anywhere and there are lots of creeks with bigger fish not too far away.

This is my first attempt to post a picture. It looks OK on PREVIEW, hope it posts properly.

Chris
dead drift likes this.

Last edited by fishnskiguy; 07-08-2011 at 10:19 PM.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:38 PM
Administrator

No problems with that picture, I'd love to have this creek on my schedule. You're lucky to have a spot like this,

Ard

Old 07-08-2011, 12:42 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

I fished this creek yesterday.

It's the only creek I've found in the whole darn state that isn't blown out due to the monster runoff we have had this year. The reason this creek is fishable is because it does not drain anything above 11,000 feet where most of the really big snow pack still exists. Still, this creek is flowing about 100 CFS when the normal flow this far into summer should be 15-20 CFS.

I fished for four hours and caught 15-20 brookies all 5-9 inches. I fish this creek 2-3 times a year for four years, and have never caught anything but brookies and never one over 12 inches.

It's a fun creek to fish, and gets very little pressure since it's quite a ways from anywhere and there are lots of creeks with bigger fish not too far away.

This is my first attempt to post a picture. It looks OK on PREVIEW, hope posts properly.

Added another view.

Chris