The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree534Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2013, 07:50 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of
Default Re: Small stream Stories and Pictures;

I have a lot of catching up to do in these threads, but BEAUTIFUL stuff guys! Makes me want to pack the jeep and take a long trip to where cell reception fades!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 09-21-2013, 02:11 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light
Default Trout are where you find them.

While in the White Mountains of NH yesterday, I happened on a couple of really tiny streams. By 'tiny' I mean 2-3 feet across, with just enough water to float a fish. The flow rate was probably under 1 cfs. Way under.

I always fish these places just in case there might be something there.

I really like this fish. It's a very well fed wild trout, with nice colors.

Click the image to open in full size.

This is its home - a culvert under a major highway.

This came from an even smaller trickle ('stream' is too grand a word for it).

Here it is.

This

was here under the rock to the left. (The 5 wt 8' 6" rod is somewhat overkill. It's just what I had in my hand when I found the spots.)

Old 09-24-2013, 06:24 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

Late summer was pretty tough on the trout in my home waters. They had a cool, wet June and July, and a couple of outings in early August were very productive. After that, though, levels dropped, and dropped, and dropped. It never got super hot, but the fish were pretty exposed to the herons etc., and it's clear that the population took a bit of a hit. I spent most of the last six weeks chasing warm water species in the ponds and larger rivers, targeting lake run fish in a few select streams, or (gasp!) working ... but this afternoon, on the heels of the weekend's 1.5" of rain and a string of cool nights, I got out of the office early and took a visit to a prime stretch very near home. Caught, pictured, and released three decent holdovers, of which this picture shows the best. Also had a chance to cast to a really big one that was rising (16-17", huge for this stream). He put up with 15 or 20 casts and drifts before I put him down, and on one pass with a small brown bugger he sort of tail-whacked it but I don't think he ever took the fly. In any case, I did not connect with him. Maybe next time ...
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 09-26-2013, 06:26 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

Snuck out for another short session after work today. Found one 13" holdover and two great wild fish, including this 14 incher. I nymphed him from a deep, fast run; he took one awesome leap and then burned down the whitewater. After two runs on the drag -- a pretty rare experience on this little stream -- I netted him two pools downstream.
Hardyreels and mcnerney like this.
Old 10-02-2013, 04:19 PM

meadballs has a spectacular aura aboutmeadballs has a spectacular aura about

I caught this pike (my first and only one) using a massive streamer in a stream no larger the five foot across. I had heard there were perhaps some pike in the stream but I was shocked when one actually ate my fly. [IMG]Click the image to open in full size.[/IMG]
Old 10-02-2013, 05:22 PM

^^ Wow! That's kind of a little treasure to have around, isn't it. Have fun with that!
Old 10-03-2013, 09:26 AM

meadballs has a spectacular aura aboutmeadballs has a spectacular aura about

Yeah, its pretty neat. Believe it or not, I saw some pike in the creek that are probably pushing 40 inches. I thought they were trout at first and I nearly had a heart attack. I will be back there soon.
Old 10-04-2013, 02:42 PM

plecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of lightplecain is a glorious beacon of light

Once again yesterday I fished a small stream that I have driven over, biked over, and walked over hundreds of times, but never before fished.

I didn't even know if it had a name. (It does. I looked it up on a topo map.)

You can see from the picture that it has a very dark bottom. I expected the fish, if any, to be the usual 4" to 7" trout, with dark colors. Here are some.

Then I caught this one - probably the prettiest fish I've caught this year. When it took the fly all I saw in the water as it turned was a bright orange flash. I just hoped the pinched barb hook held it until I could get it into the net.

Oh, the leaves are very pretty, too.

Old 10-04-2013, 03:32 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Annnnnnnd there goes any residual friday motivation that I had. Wonderful post.

In less then 2 weeks now I'll be on a new creek for me in MO chasing wild bows.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 10-04-2013, 05:44 PM

^^ awesome brookies, plecain!

Wild rainbows around here are packing on the lbs for winter! Here's one from this evening.

milt spawn likes this.