The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree431Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2013, 09:13 PM

fly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to beholdfly_guy12955 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Small stream Stories and Pictures;

Great photo's guys. What dark brookies ! Gorgeous.

Caught my limit of rainbow stockers today,,they were supper. Might be the last I keep this year. I never keep a wild or native trout and even release a lot of stockers now,,esp bigger ones,,so they can put a smile on another face,,hopefully some youngster or older gent.

Mike
Old 10-07-2013, 08:07 PM

akcrimson is on a distinguished road

Any tiny little stream on the Denali Highway in AK. Such as the Brushkana in my avatar. Thousands of Grayling holes and not a soul in sight. You're generally several hundred miles from the nearest town, one of the best parts.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337
Old 10-26-2013, 06:23 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

Slugging it out the last weekend of trout season here ... water in the mid 40's, had to work hard to nymph up two good hookups today and unfortunately lost both. One was a nice 15"+ rainbow, the other a mite smaller. Might get out again tomorrow, then again might just stay home and stack firewood. It's been a good run.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:17 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

What a way to end the season, and what a day to have a dead camera battery.

Trout season ends on Thursday. Knowing I'll be stuck in a meeting tomorrow until well after dark, and knowing I'll be out Halloweening with the kids on Thursday, it seemed like a good idea to sneak out for the last sunny 90 minutes of daylight this evening.

My mother-in-law was over when I got in from work. I snorked down a snack, jammed into my waders, and told her as I left, "Everything I've learned about fishing, I can sum up in one sentence: you don't catch the big one by sitting at home."

I caught one trout today, but it was a beauty, a *very* *fat* 19-inch rainbow, the largest trout I've *ever* seen on my home waters, and the largest non-steelhead rainbow I've caught in my life, anywhere, ever. I got to watch the take, too -- drifted a big, heavy #8 Prince-analog thing of my own design, and as it floated up on the swing, this awesome dark form came up behind it. I let the fly slip about two inches back downstream, I saw the head turn, and I lifted the rod tip. Fish on.

I played her gently so as to keep her in the run where I hooked her, got downstream of her, and landed her after three or four minutes. "Battery depleted," read the message. Oh well. I wasn't going to kill her for vanity, so back in the water she went.

It's been an awesome year.
cpiercem likes this.
Old 10-29-2013, 06:43 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcrimson View Post
Any tiny little stream on the Denali Highway in AK. Such as the Brushkana in my avatar. Thousands of Grayling holes and not a soul in sight. You're generally several hundred miles from the nearest town, one of the best parts.

No offense but we already know that.............. some pictures and a little story would help to show members where you fish

First time I've spotted you here, welcome to the forum. What part of AK. do you live in?

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 10-29-2013, 08:21 PM

theboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond reputetheboz has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by akcrimson View Post

Didn't notice the stream.
von behr likes this.
"Your not old,you've simply acquired a patina." Swirlchaser
Old 11-03-2013, 12:27 PM

Waterborne has a spectacular aura aboutWaterborne has a spectacular aura about

~10,000' in the Sierra Nevadas

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:25 PM

stl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud ofstl_geoff has much to be proud of

Aweeeeesome!! That is the only place/reason I want to go to California.

Storm Drain Bonefisher
Old 12-07-2013, 01:44 AM

milt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond reputemilt spawn has a reputation beyond repute

Click the image to open in full size. milt
Old 12-07-2013, 11:18 AM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterborne View Post
~10,000' in the Sierra Nevadas

Your photos really capture the essence of small stream fishing. The location is spectacular, and those golden trout are in a category of their own. Thanks for sharing that. You made my day on this chilly, rainy morning.

-VB
Hardyreels, mcnerney and jaybo41 like this.