The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree524Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-02-2014, 07:27 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Small stream Stories and Pictures;

Now that April 1st has come and gone all streams are finally open to fishing. No more pink lines for Minnesotans ever again. So I headed to a nearby stream to see how the streams were. To my surprise the one I went to first was in great shape. 80% clarity I'd say. Started with nymphs and took one. Quickly switched to streamers and landed a few more. Then came some rises as some bwos started popping. With a little hesitation I finally changed to a parachute Adams and started picking off trout on dries. Wind picked up and I decided to head back to the car.

Click the image to open in full size.

I decided to go check on another stream I've looked at plenty of times but gets very overgrown quickly. Stopped by and started out frustrating snagging on overhangs and trees. Came up to one pool. Stripped a bugger through it about 5 times... Each time resulting in short strike. I saw a fish rise above the pool so I switched back to the Adams. I had seen something flying around. Looked like a big black/grey caddis as I'd see them skating on the surface First couple drifts through the hole and nothing. Then I skated the Adams over the hole and all h3ll broke loose as a trout exploded on it. Then I focused on the one that I saw ahead of the pool. Couple normal drifts. Nothing. Skated it. Another ruthless strike erupts the calm surface.

Special thanks to Jerry aka hairwing as it was his parachute Adams were those that took all those fish. Floated like a cork and lasted through about a dozen fish and numerous hangups. Thank you.
Old 04-09-2014, 01:36 AM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Just love fishing these wild population streams and this is the best time of the year to get to them as the vegetation is almost nil. They only get tougher to fish as the year goes on. Better yet no one fishes them.

The lonely riser falls victim to one of Jerry's flies...

This is one of those holes you look at and know if you can get it in there you'll be rewarded.

Wind coming in from the left. Needless to say after 3 flies fell victim to this mini jam I was finally rewarded with a very feisty trout. Leapt clear out of the water the minute that leech hit the surface film. Which allowed me to pull him away from the jam right quick and not lose him.

The fish here are few and far in between but they sure are healthy. Not skinny and boney looking like a lot of the stocker streams. And very acrobatic. Made for a good day.

Old 04-09-2014, 06:32 AM

lv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nicelv2nymph is just really nice

Nice looking trout you all have there, great pics, great stories congrats. I love those little gems too.
Old 04-09-2014, 12:24 PM

stillwading will become famous soon enoughstillwading will become famous soon enough

Looks like a heck of a way to spend a day... Nice pics! Hopefully I can make it down to your hood this weekend.
itchmesir likes this.
Old 04-12-2014, 07:37 PM

rocketbomb is a jewel in the roughrocketbomb is a jewel in the roughrocketbomb is a jewel in the rough

The weather was good today and it looked like a nice day to get away from other people and spend some time with myself, a fly rod, and some fish.

Woke up a little later than I should have, but decided very firmly before even getting out of bed that I had to go fish for trout. The bass just haven't been active, so trout would be the name of the game.

I lucked out, and was the first one on the best part of the stream. But that was just the beginning--there was quite a hatch going on! I am used to fishing this place in cold weather, when the fish are sluggish and hide themselves well. Today they were out eating all the bugs that were coming out of the water, and it was a beautiful sunny morning. I went through a few dries before hitting on the one that worked, and fish started hitting it. I missed a LOT. Had I hooked up on half of my misses, at least 20 fish would have come to shore, I think. As it was, three on dries, and at a beaver dam with a very deep hole, two on a bead head nymph were my catch--much better than I usually do on this stream. Once the sun got high and started beating straight down into the water the bite pretty much disappeared, so I left a bit early to get home. Haven't eaten all day, and I have some pretty serious sunburn to care for. Was one of the best days of fishing I have had in the last several months.

Time for a few pictures:

First in, nice rainbow:

Then an eager little brown. The browns here were stocked long ago, but are now naturally reproducing in this stream. Love catching them. There were a lot of misses on these today.

This guy was sitting more or less beneath a beaver dam where the stream had undercut it. Was very surprised to land him, as I really had to wrestle him out from underneath that beaver dam in the current with 5lb tippet.

Another beaver dam fish. There were many more, but I left them alone after catching two.

Post-release photo
Old 04-27-2014, 09:08 PM

jw12 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatortransplant View Post
While I'm decidedly new to fly fishing, whenever I pass a stream, I have always found myself wondering if there were fish, usually trout, inhabiting it. When I was little it was always that way, and to this day, my fiancee has to drag me on whenever we pass any waterway. Is there any particular way to know if a given waterway holds fish, besides fishing it? It doesn't help that trout are amazing at disappearing even when very close by...
Story of my life, I keep a rod in my car just in case.
Joni likes this.
Old 04-27-2014, 09:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

You know, following up on the preceding post, I really don't believe I have ever crossed a bridge while traveling by car without looking and wondering the same thing. Even when I fly from coast to coast I take a window seat so I can look down and wonder what it's like where I see no roads.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 04-27-2014, 10:55 PM

dean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant futuredean_mt has a brilliant future

I almost meandered out of my lane during my morning commute the other day craning to see the river I drove along everyday. Talk about distracted driving, you don't want to drive near me if there is a river in sight!

Hardyreels and itchmesir like this.
Old 04-30-2014, 05:23 PM

rustia is on a distinguished road

Well...I have been soaking up tons of information from this forum (thank you everyone) for a while now and I couldn't think of a better first post than this. I have been fly fishing for the past 4 years or so, mostly for bass and in stocked trout waters. This was my first native brook trout experience.

My wife and I made the hour and a half journey to the Shenandoah National Park to fish the Rapidan in mid March. It was a beautiful day, seemingly the first after a long winter. I started with a #16 pheasant tail nymph I tied myself. Lo and behold, it worked. My first native brook trout with my own tie.

We worked our way upstream a bit and my wife caught several trout on a hares ear. We got to this real nice pool, and noticed there were a few trout viciously attacking something on the surface. We couldn't quite make out what it was, so I decided to throw on a stimulator (store bought). What could it hurt? The very first drift, my fly was met with open brook trout jaws. In all the excitement, I raised the rod tip before he had a chance to take it. I missed. That didn't seem to matter though, as my next drift resulted in the same reaction form the trout. With only a split second more patience, I landed my second brook trout.

The head of this pool was pretty deep so my wife tied on a small rust colored Chuck Kraft Claw Dad.

Shortly thereafter, she hooked up with this bruiser.

After a few hours of fishing and hiking, we called it a day and headed back to the truck. I am now officially addicted.
Old 04-30-2014, 06:53 PM

repperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of lightrepperson29 is a glorious beacon of light

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustia View Post
Well...I have been soaking up tons of information from this forum (thank you everyone) for a while now and I couldn't think of a better first post than this. I have been fly fishing for the past 4 years or so, mostly for bass and in stocked trout waters. This was my first native brook trout experience.

My wife and I made the hour and a half journey to the Shenandoah National Park to fish the Rapidan in mid March. It was a beautiful day, seemingly the first after a long winter. I started with a #16 pheasant tail nymph I tied myself. Lo and behold, it worked. My first native brook trout with my own tie.

We worked our way upstream a bit and my wife caught several trout on a hares ear. We got to this real nice pool, and noticed there were a few trout viciously attacking something on the surface. We couldn't quite make out what it was, so I decided to throw on a stimulator (store bought). What could it hurt? The very first drift, my fly was met with open brook trout jaws. In all the excitement, I raised the rod tip before he had a chance to take it. I missed. That didn't seem to matter though, as my next drift resulted in the same reaction form the trout. With only a split second more patience, I landed my second brook trout.

The head of this pool was pretty deep so my wife tied on a small rust colored Chuck Kraft Claw Dad.

Shortly thereafter, she hooked up with this bruiser.

After a few hours of fishing and hiking, we called it a day and headed back to the truck. I am now officially addicted.

Welcome, nice first post! Those are some beautiful brookies.

Ryan
oldnewguy likes this.