The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree562Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-01-2014, 06:35 AM

dondgt is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Small stream Stories and Pictures;

Quote:
Originally Posted by rustia View Post
Awesome story.
It is incredibly rewarding catching fish on your own tied fly. Congratulations.

Great story and awesome pictures.
Old 05-01-2014, 08:16 AM

oldnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rougholdnewguy is a jewel in the rough

Sweet!!!

That's the kind of waters and fishing that I love the most. Very beautiful.

Great looking fish as well......

I love to see more pics of those waters as the seasons change.

BTW, welcome to the forum.

Tight lines,

Joe
Old 05-04-2014, 10:28 AM

Mnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really niceMnflyfish is just really nice

Decided to venture out yesterday with my 2 boys after a few days of rain. Really thought the water would be high and muddy but this one was clear as it gets. Had some small caddis (I think) action that faded pretty quick. Didn't get any hits on sub-surface offerings. Went thru my usuall....PT, hated ear, prince, copper john red and green, was gonna try the pink squirrel, but noticed a few rises so tried a BWO size 16 maybe, and started getting some hits. Landed this little guy first, energetic little devil.

Click the image to open in full size.

So of course the boys switched over to BWO, but they were working on casting , stroke , timing etc simply because "dad, you make it look easy, can't be too hard" lol. (Tried to tell them I wasn't that great if a caster, as I was picking a fly out of a overhanging branch.......)

So then moved upstream a bit and landed this one.

Lost about 5 fish, boys got skunked, but had fun

We had the stream mostly to ourselves, and is my favorite local stream. It really gets pretty up stream and around the bend, where there is a cliff face that I love to bounce beetles and ants etc in July.

Took this of my 18 yr old, who really hates getting his pic taken. But I just thought it was a cool pic opportunity.

Great day all in all!! And my first chance out this season.

Sent from my iPhone
Old 05-08-2014, 03:05 PM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

The weather sure has been nice these last couple days. And the fishing has been just as good. Little storms here and there has kept just enough stain in the water to keep the trout from being spooky and recent caddis activity has kept them lively.

This last one was a real battle on the little Herters...

Old 05-12-2014, 12:13 AM

witroutgod is on a distinguished road

Some browns from my local stream in midwest WI about a quarter mile from my house I'll get some actual stream pics up and some of the brookies there too later

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

Last edited by mcnerney; 05-24-2014 at 04:25 AM.
Old 05-14-2014, 05:33 PM

sheepdog will become famous soon enoughsheepdog will become famous soon enough

Here's some pictures of my local fishing spot here in San Diego County. It is a VERY small creek and looks as if it would be completely devoid of any fish, much less Trout. They are all wild, native Rainbow and are believed to be one of the last remaining PURE descendants of the southern California steelhead. I caught about 30 fish in a 5 hour period. All the fish I landed ranged from about 4"-11" but I saw some 15+ inchers in there that I just couldn't get to. This stream is extremely hard to fish and even harder to access. The weapons of choice were a #20 Olive EHC and a #22 Bedhead Zebra Midge.

Last edited by sheepdog; 05-24-2014 at 11:58 AM.
Old 05-21-2014, 06:48 PM

itchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud ofitchmesir has much to be proud of

Tail end of a small stream in the area...

This one really put a bend in the 2wt...

Then today Mr. Smallmouth shows up...

This guy had a lamprey in his gullet... Explains why they were loving the leech pattern...

ted4887 likes this.
Old 05-22-2014, 01:30 AM

yikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really niceyikes is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheepdog View Post
Here's some pictures of my local fishing spot here in San Diego County. It is a VERY small creek and looks as if it would be completely devoid of any fish, much less Trout. They are all wild, native Rainbow and are believed to be one of the last remaining PURE descendants of the southern California steelhead. I caught about 30 fish in a 5 hour period. All the fish I landed ranged from about 4"-11" but I saw some 15+ inchers in there that I just couldn't get to. This stream is extremely hard to fish and even harder to access. The weapons of choice were a #20 Olive EHC and a #22 Bedhead Zebra Midge.
For some reason, your photos aren't showing up in my browser. Anyway, did your stream survive the recent fires?

---------- Post added at 11:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:25 PM ----------

Here's a great little local spot. Not always productive (due to pressure), but fun and relaxing.Click the image to open in full size.
jpbfly, cpiercem and itchmesir like this.
Old 05-22-2014, 09:37 PM

mirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nicemirabelasunshine is just really nice

It's been very slow to turn on this spring in northern VT, but things are finally starting to happen. We're moving this summer, and I've been pretty bummed about saying goodbye to my local beat, a beautiful and largely unmolested reach of freestone wild trout water.

This evening I went over to do some painting in the new house and decided to check out a nearby option. I went in skeptical; this is a heavily channelized urban stream -- basically a glorified storm sewer, the reach I fished tonight literally runs between an abandoned factory and the city dump -- but lo and behold, it's stuffed with fish. I caught seven trout in about an hour and a half -- four browns, two rainbows, and a brookie. Only the brookie was a wild fish; two of the browns appeared to be this year's stockers, about 9" long. Two others were holdovers of at least a year, both in the 14" range. The rainbows were also big beefy holdovers, the last and biggest (not pictured here) about 15". This is going to help take the sting out of the move, I think!

Old 05-24-2014, 12:10 AM

hopescooter will become famous soon enough

After spending a rather unfruitful overnighter at Green river below the dam, I was itching to try out some new waters and actually catch a fish for a change. Last sunday, I packed my rod, lunch, got dogs ready and head off couple hours from salt lake city for a nice scenic stream for few hours of fishing.

Seeing only one car in the parking lot was a good sign, this would be my second visit to this river. I last came here last fall and got totally skunked, failed to entice spooky trouts back then. Now having gained much knowledge in nymphing and everythign else, I tied on a Utah killer bug(18) that I had tied and used a cicada dry fly as indicator. Second cast, saw the cicada go under, fish on.
Half decent brown trout.
Scenic river
I got another one in the same stretch but no more bites after that. A rather inconsiderate older lady moved with 15 feet from where I was casting, so moved downstream a bit and let my dogs enjoy the freedom.

Good thing I did, I drifted the bug in a deep beaver pond and in 3rd or 4th cast, a nice fish took it.
It was a solid 18 incher, tied as my biggest brown yet, on my own hand tied fly, such a nice feeling. Feeling satisfied, i fished for a bit more but no more bites and dogs were getting anxious, so called it a day. I will be back there soon and explore more of the river.