The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree534Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2011, 02:18 PM

creeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of lightcreeker is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Small stream Stories and Pictures;

Quote:
Originally Posted by vans View Post
Wow Creeker, you are a lucky man to have such a place spitting distance from your back door. I dont think i would ever get anything done around the house if i had that in my back yard.
I don't.... At least according to the Mrs.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:24 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Creeker,

Not only are you showing nice streams but the pictures are so crisp, so clear! Beautiful places posted by all, I'm way behind on getting something up but will blame it on the salmon. I have a really hard time focusing on trout when the salmon start in late May / early June. That may sound lame but the big fish can become a haunting of the mind. I do catch quite a few trout but they occur while I'm swinging salmon flies and I just let em go quick and get back on target. I'll hit my little creek down the road soon and post.

Thanks for all the great replies here people

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-17-2011, 11:42 PM

nockhunter is on a distinguished road

Click the image to open in full size.

somewhere in Upstate NY
Old 07-18-2011, 12:26 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Gin clear and tough fishing. though there are some real pigs that live here too. Seen but not caught. RussellB shoudl know the area.
Old 07-18-2011, 11:01 AM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think I'll add a couple of my favorites from the southeast Idaho area. Although I haven't yet been able to get out on anything due to the ankle surgery, I still dream of these waters and hope to hit them all by the end of the year.

This first one is a favorite Fall/Winter/Spring river that we fish - contains resident Rainbows, Brookies and sometimes some Kokanee escapees, along with a protected strain of mountain whitefish:

This next one is one we fish during the later summer after runoff. It requires a hike, but not too tough - contains resident Cutthroats and a returning spawn of Kokanee:

And, last of all, one of my favorite winter destinations, although it fishes well year 'round - contains resident brookies and bows, but they don't grow very large:

A true double!:

Well, that's it for me and my favorite small waters. Thanks for letting me play along.

Kelly.
Old 07-18-2011, 12:42 PM

tyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to alltyler185 is a name known to all

Here are a couple of pics of my favorite stream and one of its residents. I have been chasing a big brown in there for a few weeks now and just cant fool him.....some day.....

Old 07-18-2011, 05:45 PM

fishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the roughfishnskiguy is a jewel in the rough

Went back to the only creek in Colorado not in runoff (although others are coming down fast). Here are some new pics.

Corps of Engineers have been at work.

Me working upstream.

Dams, dams, and more dams.

A fairly good sized brownie for this creek.

Fish on!

Another great day! Got 10-12 fish, mix of browns and brookies.

Saw a coyote on the walk in and jumped a fisher (looks like a mink on steroids) while walking up the creek.

With other creeks dropping fast, I doubt if I'll get back here before fall.

Chris

Last edited by fishnskiguy; 07-18-2011 at 10:10 PM.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute

Beautiful!!

Old 07-18-2011, 07:51 PM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

Wow, great pictures! I'm jealous. Hopefully I can contribute a few pictures next month after a trip to Durango.
Old 07-18-2011, 08:06 PM
Administrator

Kelly,

I just did a back cast and saw your pictures, great looking spot! If I could pry myself away from the salmon rivers I would take some pictures of some of the creeks around here. It's tough, when those big fish are in they're all I can think about. Years ago my fishing buddy and I used to talk about someday being somewhere fishing where the fish were all big. I made it and I got hooked. It is messing with my dry fly tying. I made some Royal Wulff's the other day on fine wire salmon hooks in size 8 and was wondering how the heck I tied all those size 20's for all those years. The big hooks spoil you as much as any fish could, they are so easy to tie.

Keep the reports and pictures coming fellas I am reliving a lot of travels by looking at them all