The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree532Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 10:40 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Small stream Stories and Pictures;

Do you have a favorite small stream you sneak around often? Im talking about those small brush choked little mountain brooks and spring creeks here. If so how bout sharing a few pictures and stories from your own little paradise. I would not name the creek if I were you, I will be putting some up soon, our small creeks open on June 14th so I will be on them in a couple days.
Nearenuf likes this.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-12-2011, 11:55 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise
Default Re: Small stream Stories and Pictures;

heres one of my spots

Click the image to open in full size.

never seen another soul here.

casey

ARFE
Old 06-13-2011, 12:36 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Good thread!!!!!!

As someone that enjoys my 0wt rods and small creeks. I will have to contribute to this thread on a regular basis....... Once runoff is done.....

Well I was going to give you more rep for posting this. Unfortunately it won’t let me (guess the last time I gave rep was to you).
Old 06-13-2011, 02:26 AM
Super Moderator

jpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond reputejpbfly has a reputation beyond repute

the upper section of the Marguerite(that IS small)
the upper section of the Lergue(that is NOT really big)
The Neederbach(the most beautiful mountain stream I've ever fished with my son Nico

Last edited by jpbfly; 04-11-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 04:21 PM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about

I've got a number of tiny streams in Wyoming that I love to fish. In most places you can jump across it. And there are more brook trout than you can shake a stick at.

Old 06-14-2011, 12:04 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Casey,

Nice spot looks deserted

Sasha,

Thanks bud and I will look forward to your posts

JP,

Simply beautiful

Poke em,

What a lovely little spot you've got there, keep it coming everyone,

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-14-2011, 12:50 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

YAY! New favorite thread!!!
I haven't been to my favorite small stream recently so I have no good pics to share. However, I will try to add to this asap!
Thank you Ard...

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 06-14-2011, 02:22 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

went down to the same place today and i was surprised to see how much the water levels had dropped.

slow fishing but did manage this guy.

not real big, but super fun on the glass.
Joey Bagels likes this.

ARFE
Old 06-15-2011, 01:32 PM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

Because our rivers and most streams are a mess right now I went out to go float tubing yesterday.

Float Tubing 14 June 2011
It was so nice to see the sun and calm skies after such a long bout of really lousy weather. I loaded up my Renegade and motor and headed out to do a little prospecting to find some willing fish in a different reservoir.
I ended up having to do a little detouring to avoid some field burning, so I thought I would just take a side trip up into the hills, and look at some creeks while I was at it. Yep, they are still running pretty high and off color.

Then I thought about seeing if I could get up a bit higher and look as some tributaries that I wanted to investigate.

This is really turning into a major detour now. As you can see I am easily distracted and have a short attention span!

The road was not great in spots, but it was ok. There was no mud, and it wasn’t soft, so I wasn’t damaging it by being on it too soon. When it had dried out, it left one or two of these “mud puddles”. Good thing that there is a nice hard rock base in this area, otherwise I may have been using my float tube in this lake in the road!

So after a bit of a hike…….Success! This little feeder stream is running higher, but is almost completely clear. I am practically dancing in anticipation when I spot a fish in a side pool. I can hardly wait to try this creek out. I love small creek fishing!

As I was rigging up my 4wt rod, I realized that most of what I had with me is for lake fishing! I know I have nymphs and streamers but, I like to fish little streams with small dries. I began searching franticly through my junk, and I found that once again my packrat tendencies will pull me through. I have a small box of dries with me - Perfect! …… but looks like it is chapstick for floatant again. I wonder if the fish prefer SPF 15 or 30??
It is sure beautiful up there! The wild flowers are amazing, and everything is so green.

There are lots of bugs in the air -- from midges to an occasional mayfly and even a stray caddis thrown in every once in awhile. I tied on a little elk hair caddis, and holding my breath I cast it out. Nope, two snubs and a splashy tail flip said that that was a poor choice. I hadn’t been there 10 minutes, and I was already changing flies! I tied on a parachute adams and bingo! We have a winner!

Little native cutthroats – how sweet it is.

Needless to say I spent the day on the creek. My float tube just went along with me for the ride!
uncle chubby and jameswwright like this.

Last edited by cpiercem; 06-15-2011 at 02:26 PM.
Old 06-15-2011, 03:04 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Great pics everyone