The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2011, 04:39 PM

anemec is on a distinguished road
Default River Float in Alaska at the End of August

I'd like some advice. I am going with a group of 4 fishermen (myself included) to Alaska in late August (8/20-8/28).

I have been twice before myself on solo fishing/camping trips down the Western side of the Kenai peninsula. Once in June for Kings and Pinks and Char, and the second in late August/early September for Silvers, Rainbows and an errant early Steelhead or two.

No one else has been to Alaska before but are avid fishermen and outdoorsmen.

My initial plan was to fly into Anchorage rent a car and fish and camp as I have done before down through the Kenai peninsula.

But with four of us the option opens up to do a 5-7 day river float. Which I have always wanted to do. I have looked at several options online, but would like your guy's opinions.

Do you see any reason why we would need to do a guided versus an unguided float? I am leaning towards doing the unguided option and just seeing if we can hook up with a firm that will fly us in, rent us the equipment and pick us up 5-7 days later. Am I being naive? Is this a bad idea? What should I watch out for (besides friendly wildlife)?

Also, what rivers would you recommend we float at that time of year for Silver and Rainbows (August 20-28)? I was thinking the Bristol Bay area but would love to hear from anyone with local knowledge?

Thanks.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:14 PM
Administrator

mcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond reputemcnerney has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: River Float in Alaska at the End of August

anemec: The are numerous outfitters that will do exactly what you are looking for, fly in drop you off, with rented gear and pick you up at a designated location down river. I've never done it but always wanted to.
Here is an outfit that does guided float trips in the Bristol Bay region, take a look at the waters he floats it might give you some ideas.
Alaska Float Trip for Rainbow Trout and Salmon fishing ~ Goodnews, Alagnak, Moraine, American and other waters

Hopefully, someone who has done a self-float on one of the Bristol Bay rivers will chime in and offer more advice.
You might also do a google search for float plane operators out of Anchorage.
Maybe Ard (Hardyreels) will chime in, he lives in Wasila and might have some better info for you.

Larry

Old 06-13-2011, 05:29 PM

anemec is on a distinguished road
Default Re: River Float in Alaska at the End of August

Thanks Larry. That is definitely what I am hoping for. I've been googling quite a bit and now have a sort of analysis paralysis.

It would be great to hear from someone who's done it, or might have more personal info about it.