The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-13-2010, 08:58 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Antietam Creek Report

We thought about hitting the water today and, after the deluge of rain in the afternoon we took advantage of the sunshine.

We normally go to Antietam Reservoir near out home, but today I wanted to try the creek that is formed by the falls leading from the lake. I have seen a nice little pool there and always thought "One day I outta..." Well, today was that day.

Here is a shot of the falls.
Click the image to open in full size.

Here is another closer up.

We parked at the road and had to hike down a little bit of an access road, but when we got there we found the pool. It was about 10 yards across and maybe as wide and looked to be pretty deep.

My fiancé and I decided to start here and work out way down the creek to the bridge.

I had an old rod and reel that my Dad gave me from when he was a kid. He says he bought it in the 70's, used it once or twice and then but it in a box until it was rescued by me a few months ago. The reel is an old South Bends Finalist (no drag system to speak of) and the rod is of dubious origins. I had put a 3wt line on it but I think that's too light, since I had a hard time feeling the rod load and was casting horribly. This was my first time that I was actually using this set up.

I had a 10 gold ribbed hares ear on the line. I did my first cast and the line pretty much fell at my feet. I looked at my fiancé to make sure she was looking the other way, and cast again. I'm stripping it in about 6" at a shot and suddenly see a flash in the water. I lift the rod and it bend so much that it doesn't look like the tip moved any farther from the water. He jumps, makes a short run to the right and jumps again as I pull the line in.

"Grab the net," I shout to her.

"It's strapped to your back." So it is.

I was standing in the run of from the falls a few feet back from the lip of the pool. I had the fish to the edge of the pool(and saw he was a very nice size), with a few feet left to hoist him over to get him in hand. Hoping that this bugger doesn't wiggle off the hook inches from my hand, I hoist him up and grab the leader, bringing him in. I get him to shore and get the fly out. He measured just over 14 inches.

Here he is in my Kung Fu grip just after he almost wiggled free.

After placing the net on the shore I walked back out to the lip. I make about 5-6 more casts and see another flash. I pull this one in, and he's just as feisty as the last. I get him to the lip.

"Get the net!"

weeeeeeeerr bloomp. I look over and there is my fiancé reeling in her spin rod(she doesn't fly fish) looking the other way. "Don' worry, I got."

I grab the leader and land this one. He's more docile than the last once caught. He measured just under 13".

Here's two handsome devils:

I cast a few more times and no luck. At this time my fiance has had one bit on her worm. I tell her to try fly fishing her response is just, the look.

I scramble to the far side of the pool and try a few cast, but no luck. I figure after all that action, the fish are hunkered down tight.

Far side of the pool:

We talk it over and decide to try farther downstream. We walk down and try for a few minutes, but after extracting ourselves out of various trees we decide to try the lake.

A few of the stream:

As we pull into the lake, thunder starts to rumble and the sky is getting dark. We decide to cut our losses and run. It was still a good day; I caught the two biggest bows ever on a fly rod, so I can't complain.

Here is a shot of the sky on the way home:

Ant
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 06-14-2010, 07:16 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: Antietam Creek Report

Nice report Ant...Nice looking little stream...Congrats on the fish..

Dan
Old 06-14-2010, 05:30 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

Well done. Were those fish you kept?

Kelly.
Old 06-14-2010, 07:17 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Thanks Dan.

Yes Kelly, I kept those. I release most of what I catch, but for about the last month I was hungering for some fresh caught fish, but couldn't land anything worthwhile. So as soon as those guys hit my fly, they had a date with my dinner plate.
Old 06-15-2010, 12:45 AM
Banned

Sasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to beholdSasha is a splendid one to behold

Man that is quite the death grip

Great report, I enjoyed it!!!!!

So how did they taste?
Old 06-15-2010, 07:42 AM

Thanks Sasha. They tasted great! Worth the wait.