The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-06-2011, 11:57 AM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan
Default Re: What's Wrong?

I had to add another thought on this post involving hidden hatches and observation. Did you notice any flying ants around? The ants may have been swarming in your area with a lot of then being blown into the water; they're very hard to spot for you; but trout will key on them...

Have fun figuring out what's going on...

Dan
Old 07-06-2011, 03:28 PM

natermotor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuronRiverDan View Post
I had to add another thought on this post involving hidden hatches and observation. Did you notice any flying ants around? The ants may have been swarming in your area with a lot of then being blown into the water; they're very hard to spot for you; but trout will key on them...

Have fun figuring out what's going on...

Dan
I did, actually. I used an ant first... Nothing...
Old 07-06-2011, 07:03 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

Did you try smaller tippet? Talking with a guide on the Elk in WV, he has told me he has had to use 10x at times to get fish. I have read where people have went to smaller tippet and then had action. Worth trying.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:04 PM

Walter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really niceWalter1023 is just really nice

All great replies. I'm not familiar with your stream...but for some of the streams I fish a 14 and 16 can be considered huge and oversize. Sometimes I change from a size 20 to a 22 or 24 (midge, olive) and that makes all the difference. Leader length and tippet diameter are HUGE factors if you are fishing clear calm and heavily fished water....go long and thin. And as stated a downstream cast is often your best bet because the fish sees the fly first. A final suggestion....next time you are fishing - tie a 15" tippet to the bend of your dry fly and put on a pheasant tail. it doesn't have to be weighted because it just has to be slightly under the surface film - you may well be amazed how many times you see your dry fly move (ala - now your "indicator") and you set the hook on a fish. one last thought from experience.....sometimes no matter what you do right the fish ignore you - the mystery of this sport.
Old 07-07-2011, 12:30 PM

kglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond reputekglissmeyer1 has a reputation beyond repute

I'm with the rest of the responses about not really being able to answer your question without my being there. Nevertheless, I've had an experience like this several years ago on the upper Teton River just outside of Driggs, ID. When I arrived there was a blanket hatch of caddis flying upriver. I do mean blanket - you couldn't take a breath without inhaling several bugs - they were everywhere. The fish were feeding with abandon and there were feeding fish all across the river. I immediately tied on an appropriately sized and colored caddis imitation and wasted about a half-hour casting to rising fish with not one take. It was confusing and discouraging, to say the least.

I finally stopped, took a closer look and discovered there was an evening PMD spinner fall both males (rusty, size 18), and females (olive, size 16). I started with the larger fly with no success and ended up fishing the smaller rusty spinner and ended the evening having touched at least three-dozen fish.

You never know about those compound "hatches", but it often takes very close observation to discover what's really going on. Good luck in cracking the code on this one. Time, patience and careful observation will do it for you.

Kelly.
Old 07-14-2011, 02:27 AM

JoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to beholdJoJer is a splendid one to behold

Emergers were my first guess, too. I've fished places with heavy hatches, lots of fish feeding and they seem to be talking to each other: One spooks and all the fish around it stop feeding for a few minutes. I like the down stream presentation with a submerged floating line. Cast down and across, stick the rod tip under the water. As the line straightens and gets into the vicinity of a feeder, slowly raise the rod tip, let the line come up, and the fly will rise just like (maybe) what they're eating.

"Every [child] has the right to a first fish. On this particular planet, no man is granted a greater privelege than to be present and to assist in the realization of this moment". Bill Heavey
Old 07-14-2011, 05:07 AM

gadfly_nj is on a distinguished road

Please don't be offended by this, but why do you assume that its not your presentation? In my experience, an angler who has been at if for only two years and caught only one trout may not understand all of the complexities of good presentation. Drag can be very subtle and can be glaringly obvious to a trout even when its imperceptible to us.

Ensuring that there is enough slack in your upstream presentation, and that you are managing the line well can help with this. However, on highly pressured streams, sometimes only a downstream presentation will work. These fish need to see the fly before they are spooked by the leader. Learn to case at a downstream angle, using an exaggerated upstream reach cast to ensure a drag free drift.

The choice of fly, particularly the size can be important, but good presentation is absolutely essential.
Old 07-15-2011, 03:34 PM

mfo is on a distinguished road

Were the rises soft and subtle or excited? Could be that they didn't want dead drifted flies. They could have been on caddis emergers. Try swinging your bugs, especially sub-surface.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gadfly_nj View Post
Please don't be offended by this, but why do you assume that its not your presentation? In my experience, an angler who has been at if for only two years and caught only one trout may not understand all of the complexities of good presentation. Drag can be very subtle and can be glaringly obvious to a trout even when its imperceptible to us.

Ensuring that there is enough slack in your upstream presentation, and that you are managing the line well can help with this. However, on highly pressured streams, sometimes only a downstream presentation will work. These fish need to see the fly before they are spooked by the leader. Learn to case at a downstream angle, using an exaggerated upstream reach cast to ensure a drag free drift.

The choice of fly, particularly the size can be important, but good presentation is absolutely essential.
I'm not offended, I always welcome constructive critisism. I have been reading a couple of different books on different insects, how to identify them, and also how to present them. After reading these materials, I am not so sure that it wasn't my presentation. Next time I go, I will try the downstream wiggle cast or the 3/4ths downstream.

I will point out, though, that this was perhaps my 3rd or 4th time fishing for trout. I normally am a warmwater river fishermen. Presentation/Fly selection does not seem to be nearly as important there.

I'll use your suggestions.

Thanks,

Nate

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:24 PM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfo View Post
Were the rises soft and subtle or excited? Could be that they didn't want dead drifted flies. They could have been on caddis emergers. Try swinging your bugs, especially sub-surface.
There seemed to be a mixture. I saw a couple, at least, that were very excited and rushed. I also saw some that just seemed to be sips. I didn't actually see many bugs on the water. Later that day, though, I did see a sulphur spinner. I was thinking that it could have been this.
Old 07-17-2011, 03:07 PM

Just wanted to let ya'll know... I went today and got alot of rises and hooked up with three good sized fish. I landed a decent size brown. Both of the others spit the hook...(I have no idea how). I don't know what was hatching, but whatever it was, my size 18 yellow caddis seemed to represent it pretty well.