The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-18-2011, 02:50 PM
Super Moderator/Fly Swap Coordinator

peregrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond reputeperegrines has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: What's Wrong?

Nice job catching them today!

As others have said it's hard to know what was going on without being there.

One of the possibilities though are little mayflies called Tricos. In the mornings on streams throughout the country Tricos will be hatching for the next 2 months. The olive bodied female duns start emerging early morning, fly to streamside vegetation, molt into spinners, mate with the males and then return to the surface of the stream to lay eggs and die>They collapse on the surface with "spent" wings. It may all be over by noon. And because they are so small and end up laying flush in the film with almost transparent wings, they can be VERY difficult to see.

Tricos are typically small, around size 22-24 in the East, requiring a 7x tippet. Imitations can be pretty simple. The spinners are the most important stage of the hatch: White tail, black thread body and white wings tied "spent" (out to the side like airplane wings instead of upright). The wings can be white synthetic stuff like Poly or Antron, or natural materials like white CDC or hackle.