The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 01:57 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Midges a Success!

This year I have been trying new things while flyfishing. Never tried #18 or 20's or 22's before. Thought they were too small for fish to mess with. Wrong! Took these today at Savage River with a #20 Grey Midge and #20 Creme Midge. Had one chase a #22 Cream Midge but I tried to set the hook too soon and took the fly away from him. I've been trying for these guys several times on previous outings and couldn't get them. Today was my turn!

Click the image to open in full size.

Click the image to open in full size.
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 07-23-2011, 03:13 PM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of
Default Re: Midges a Success!

Midges. They're not just for dinner anymore.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 07-23-2011, 03:52 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

nice looking brown!

casey

ARFE
Old 07-23-2011, 04:48 PM

joescarlett is on a distinguished road

thats awesome!! i love to test new flies cause you never know what will happen! Congrats
Old 07-23-2011, 06:09 PM

nickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of lightnickj is a glorious beacon of light

Nice... My biggest fish have been taken on my smallest flies.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:26 PM

rbreedi1 is on a distinguished road

Very nice!
Old 07-23-2011, 08:16 PM

cpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to behold

Congrats!!! Those are beautiful fish!

It never ceases to amaze me -- how much better eyesight the fish have than I do!!!
Old 07-27-2011, 06:22 PM

notenuftoys has a spectacular aura aboutnotenuftoys has a spectacular aura about

Beautiful fish! Midges are my go to when nothing else seems to work.
Old 07-27-2011, 08:09 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Caught a rainbow in a very slow, very clear pool today with a #18 Cream Midge. The first presentations were not real smooth and sometimes skidded over the top of him and of course he wouldn't take it. I moved over carefully and re-presented it with a straight cast and just glided directly over the top of him and comes up and sips it in! I've never used midges before and never caught fish this late in the season here before either!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 07-28-2011, 01:24 PM

stimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud ofstimulator2 has much to be proud of

Nice looking browns..I have just started using some small stuff and it works on pressured fish real well.