The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 10:29 AM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light
Default Little Streams and the High Country

Little streams and the high country
I haven't posted much of my fishing this summer as I keep forgetting to take my camera with me fishing. I have missed shots of some beautiful country and fish. So today I managed to remember it, then found that after two pictures the battery was dead!!! But saved once again as the spare battery was in my bag. Of course I remembered it AFTER I had been fishing awhile!

Click the image to open in full size.

As the snow is going off the high country, I decided to try out some small streams in the upper reaches. Man, was it ever a beautiful day up there! Nothing else smells as good as sun on the pines and firs.

I tried out several little creeks and lots of beaver ponds. The willow jungles were fierce though -- they got one of my knee pads today!

So far this year I have lost a chamois cloth, a pair of nail clippers and now a knee pad. They were all grabbed by the vicious wild willows and hawthorn bushes. Yes, I have littered. I just don't know where I littered! Does it count in the balance that I picked up a couple of beer cans and water bottles in exchange???

One creek was so clear it was really hard to get a fly on the water without spooking the fish. The fish weren't real big -- about 8 to 10 inches, but they were sure pretty --- little wild cutthroats.

I caught most of the fish on just two flies -- a tan and yellow foam bodied humpy and a small grey caddis with a zelon (sp?) wing. I think they were taking the humpy as a grasshopper as it was about the size and color of the little hoppers up there. I liked the caddis' artificial wing as it really seemed easy to deslime and get back to floating. I also could get it to sink in some of the deeper spots and use it as a nymph!

In contrast another stream still had a little runoff, but more nice cutthroats. -- A little color to the water sure made it easier to catch them too!

Still lots of brush to fight with! Thank goodness for a short 3wt rod!

Coming down I found that most of the population of two states were on their way up to camp for the weekend!! Friday afternoon is not the best time to be coming down the mountain roads. I almost got run over by two four wheelers, a travel trailer, and a deer. The deer was probably trying to get out of the invasion also!

All in all --- A GREAT DAY!

Last edited by cpiercem; 07-30-2011 at 10:48 AM.
Old 07-30-2011, 12:27 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni
Default Re: Little Streams and the High Country

Beautiful
Old 07-30-2011, 02:48 PM

mysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to beholdmysticm is a splendid one to behold

Looked like you had a terrific day. Very pretty countryside!
Old 07-30-2011, 03:16 PM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute

Wonderful article and pics. Can only imagine how hard it must be to turn around and go back down hill.

Dave
Old 07-30-2011, 03:27 PM

gt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant futuregt05254 has a brilliant future

I am absolutely GREEN with envy! Nice trip!
Gary
Old 07-30-2011, 04:53 PM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Great photos!! good that you remembered the camera this time!! Sounds like a great trip except for the difficulties getting out! Thanks for sharing!!

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 07-30-2011, 05:01 PM

nickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the roughnickj is a jewel in the rough

Kneepads, huh? It's nice to know I'm not the only one. Nice country, nice cutts.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Wonderful places and beautiful fish's', I wish I were there with you.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 07-30-2011, 07:10 PM

cpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of lightcpiercem is a glorious beacon of light

Thank you, one and all, for the kind comments. It was a very nice day indeed. It really isn't about the size of the fish for me. I love the challenge and adventure of new little streams. The beaver ponds on the one stream were so calm and clear I found myself wishing for a bit of wind. How ironic, as I have been cussing the wind all spring and summer! But it was fun.

Yep, knee pads. I like the little $5 ones from Harbor Freight. They are really light and cheap. In fact they are so light and comfortable that I didn't realize I had lost one! When I did realize it, there was no way I was going to beat my way back through the willow jungle I had just been in. I can see I am going to have to put a security string on my next pair. They sure save on my knees and waders as I am trying to sneak through enough brush to get a fly in some clear little pool. I think I spend more time on my knees than I do my feet!!! LOL
Old 07-30-2011, 10:33 PM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Looks like pretty heavy fish for that small of streams. Great Job!