The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-30-2011, 12:06 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about
Default Black Gnats

Anyone ever use black gnats(dry) or Prince Nymphs for river trout? Next week I'm going to start trying different flies I have in my flyboxes that I haven't used or used in a long time just to experiment to see what they might take. I caught my first fish on a beetle recently and have taken some on #18 and #20 midges (previous posts) which I had never used before so I just want to have some fun with different flies. I'm like most people, I stick with my go-to flies but I want to break out of the box next week.
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)
Old 07-30-2011, 01:32 PM

poke em has a spectacular aura aboutpoke em has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Black Gnats

Caught on a prince nymph:

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-30-2011, 01:46 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Princes are one of my most fished pAtterns... Well a psycho prince so I can mix and match colors .
Old 07-30-2011, 05:32 PM

bruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the roughbruce m is a jewel in the rough

Bead-head prince is one of my best producers in the waters around me, I tie a lot of them through the year
Old 07-30-2011, 05:42 PM

jcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nicejcw355 is just really nice

I've used a black gnat wet fly with some success.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:05 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Black Gnats

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcw355 View Post
I've used a black gnat wet fly with some success.
One of my top producers back in the old days.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 07-30-2011, 07:14 PM

cpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to beholdcpiercem is a splendid one to behold

I used to use a Black Gnat dry a lot in Washington, but I haven't tried one in a long time ---- I am not sure why not. That really dates me when I start talking about the old days along time ago!