The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2011, 10:41 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default More night streamer fishing

Last night a buddy and I did some night fishing on lake tanycomo in Branson, mo. Arrived around nine thirty and thankfully the water was already dropped so I was able to Wade a little bit right from the start. I started with a stick bait on a spinning rod in a rainbows pattern tring for a small walleye or two but in my second cast I hooked into and landed an 18 inch solid bow.

Switched back to the fly rod and landed a 16 incher around eleven thirty. Buddy arrives and we moved downstream to fish some deeper holes. After that the night soured for me. Fish didn't want anything weighted and were short striking every thing.

Moved back up and started getting some hits again on the tequeely variant I caught the second bow on. Around two my buddy had to leave and lent me a small black squirrell zonker that wasn't weighted that he was killing em on. Right after the switch I landed a new personal best trout. It was a healthy nineteen inch fish and extended from my finger tips to my elbows. Another fifteen incher after that and I called it a night just shy if three I clock and one if the last three people I could see on the river. It was super foggy and visibility was only about six feet which made wading a real bit of tricky business.

Im hooked and going back again this week!

Last edited by lancer09; 07-31-2011 at 12:19 PM.
Old 07-31-2011, 10:53 AM

littledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond reputelittledavid123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: More night streamer fishing

Congratulations on the night fishing Lancer

Dave
Old 07-31-2011, 12:26 PM

cpiercem is just really nicecpiercem is just really nicecpiercem is just really nicecpiercem is just really nice

That sounds fun, but I have problems wading in the daylight! How do you manage it in the dark? Is this a wide flat slow river? No trees behind you? I would think you would have to know the area pretty well to do this safely. ---- Still sounds like a lot of fun though!
Old 07-31-2011, 01:32 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Wade by feel. I have only fished this place after dark so just feeling the slopes and currents. It also doesn't hurt that the guy I have been fishing with has been doing it for a few years. It's a tailwater so when they drop the water there is plenty of room for a back cast.
Old 08-01-2011, 02:28 PM

possumpoint is on a distinguished road

Just curious, do you do any night fishing up closer to the dam?

Did my first trout fishing up there during the day last August. First rainbows caught on a fly and great memories. I didn't tie into any but others were getting a few larger browns.
Old 08-01-2011, 05:47 PM

Exclusively beneath the dam, it's got easy access.

Last edited by lancer09; 08-01-2011 at 06:14 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:21 PM

troutslayer has a spectacular aura abouttroutslayer has a spectacular aura about

Congrats on your personal best! Sounds like a good night on the water!
"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found; because trout do not lie or cheat and cannot be bought or bribed or impressed by power, but respond only to quietude and humility and endless patience...because only in the woods can I find solitude without lonliness..." Robert Traver 1964 (Judge John Voelker)