The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-05-2011, 06:15 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice
Default Re: 7, 8, or 9 wt.

Considering the Two Heated and Yellow Dog, would you go for a 9 or 10 footer for a 7 wt.? There will be some bigger water also.

Last edited by rockriver; 08-05-2011 at 06:43 PM.
Old 08-05-2011, 11:26 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

I use a 9' 7 weight for all but the heaviest fighting fish. This rod is now limited to small creeks and I've taken to using a 13' 8/9 for all species except trout in small creeks. River trout and char are all fine on the long rod and when you hook a salmon the rod handles that well too. The reel is something to consider as well, I have a bunch and you will need a good drag so you can handle anything that grabs the fly.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-12-2011, 01:15 PM

HuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant futureHuronRiverDan has a brilliant future
Send a message via Yahoo to HuronRiverDan

My personal choice would be the 10' 7wt...

Dan
Old 08-15-2011, 09:37 PM

Cool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura aboutCool Hand Hodge has a spectacular aura about

Here is a subject i know a bit about! I find myself on the shores of Gichigami every fall. To answer your question...the 6 is what you want. Perfect for the steel and the pinks and the ocasional trophy brown.
Old 08-17-2011, 10:38 AM

Tracker12 will become famous soon enoughTracker12 will become famous soon enough

Keep in mind you should consider the weight of the flies you will be casting when you choose a rod not just the size of the fish you will be catching. I can catch a pretty big fish on a 5wt with a reel with a good drag. Might be the best choice for casting lead wrapped #4 wolley buggers.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:10 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Hodge View Post
Here is a subject i know a bit about! I find myself on the shores of Gichigami every fall. To answer your question...the 6 is what you want. Perfect for the steel and the pinks and the ocasional trophy brown.
I'm starting to think a Sage One in 6 wt. might be what I'm really wanting.
Old 08-17-2011, 06:28 PM

caseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond reputecaseywise has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to caseywise

you will probably have trouble casting pike flies with a 6 weight so i would go 7 weight in either 9 or 9 1/2 ft.

casey

ARFE
Old 08-18-2011, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseywise View Post
you will probably have trouble casting pike flies with a 6 weight so i would go 7 weight in either 9 or 9 1/2 ft.

casey
Excellent point on that. Perhaps a 6 and 7 wt. is the route I need.
Old 08-18-2011, 06:24 PM

sorby is on a distinguished road

If you want to chuck big flies for pike i would go for a 9wt or 10wt.
Old 08-18-2011, 07:10 PM

seajay will become famous soon enoughseajay will become famous soon enough

Sorby how big are the flies you use for Pike to need a 9 or 10wt? I have seen pics of some huge Pike.My brother uses 15/20lb conventional gear for them and he tells me they can"t compare to our Reds in skinny water.The guys down here use 9/10wt stuff for Sails. We typically use a 7wt for reds and snook.