The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-03-2011, 09:20 AM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice
Default 7, 8, or 9 wt.

I'm also about ready to pick up a new rod for the fall run off the big lake and wonder what you all prefer for fish larger than 15 inches. It will be a Legend Elite, 9 ft in one of the above sizes. Ocassionally, I might try for Northern Pike with it.
Old 08-03-2011, 09:28 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: 7, 8, or 9 wt.

Personal preference I guess..

for 15" fish.. a #6 is more than enough.. if that's the biggest fish, I'd even use my #4. Pike.. could change that equation.. depending on how big they get there. In a lake, I'd also use a 10'.. but again.. personal preferance

I use to use a #6 for Steelhead up to 30".. and only went to a #8 to flip over the bigger nymphs easier, and I think it stresses the fish a little less, but the #6 never had any issuse
Old 08-03-2011, 09:29 AM

Davo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud ofDavo has much to be proud of
Send a message via MSN to Davo Send a message via Skype™ to Davo

Not sure what to recommend here, I've never fished for Pike. But for fish over 15" you do not need to go as heavy as a 7wt or up. I've handled fish to 28" with as little as a 5wt or a 6wt. The only reason I use a 7wt now is because of the large weighted streamers I usually fish. The rod is heavier than needed for the fish but necessary for the flies. If you plan to use large heavy flies then a 7wt would be a good choice.

Upstream Anglers and Outdoor Adventures
Old 08-03-2011, 10:22 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I just bought an 8wt and my first target is going to be carp, followed by steelhead and salmon, all hopefully well over 15". I landed a redfish around 16-17" on my dad's 6wt and I know that the rod had more than enough backbone for that fight, as I still felt like the rod was overkill. Though my experience is limited, I would second Davo's sentiments.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-03-2011, 02:32 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

This is one of the carps that I caught with a 5 wt rod. Yes, that is my first bass pro shop tempfork series rod that I got a while ago. I caught about 60 carps during that summer, and the rod hold fish really well. And lots of guys who have been fishing carps are using 5 and 6 here as well.

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:34 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

Thanks for the replies. I was in a hurry this morning when I posted. I would be fishing streamers and wets with a weighted line, and I would be targeting fish over 25 inches on rivers here in Michigan's U.P. Once I retire, I'll have tons of time to enjoy.
Old 08-03-2011, 04:55 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Not to hijack the thread, but Ttroutbum, what kinda fly were you throwing at carp to haul in 60 over the summer? A variety or usually the same fly?

And Rockriver, good luck on the rod selection! Inevitably, as soon as you buy it, no matter what size you pick, you'll want another in another size. The moment after I bought the 8wt I started thinking about the 12wt I wanted next.

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-03-2011, 05:04 PM

texastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura abouttexastroutbum has a spectacular aura about

There are several flies but one of the flies that worked for me was this.

The fly tying video is done by one of the guys that I met at the Lakes in DFW.

Old 08-04-2011, 04:09 AM

ericdlau is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
Thanks for the replies. I was in a hurry this morning when I posted. I would be fishing streamers and wets with a weighted line, and I would be targeting fish over 25 inches on rivers here in Michigan's U.P. Once I retire, I'll have tons of time to enjoy.
Lake Superior steelhead do not get huge but are feisty. 7wt should suffice for rivers like the Two Hearted and Yellow Dog etc. If you will be fishing The Rapids(Soo) I would recommend an 8wt due to heavier flow and the chance for Atlantic Salmon. Use your 6wt for pink salmon(you need to take a drive to Garden River north of the Soo or in the Soo rapids).

---------- Post added at 03:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 03:06 AM ----------

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockriver View Post
Also you should consider a 10wt for Taquamonon(spelling?) river musky!
Old 08-04-2011, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericdlau View Post
Lake Superior steelhead do not get huge but are feisty. 7wt should suffice for rivers like the Two Hearted and Yellow Dog etc. If you will be fishing The Rapids(Soo) I would recommend an 8wt due to heavier flow and the chance for Atlantic Salmon. Use your 6wt for pink salmon(you need to take a drive to Garden River north of the Soo or in the Soo rapids).[COLOR="Silver"]

Also you should consider a 10wt for Taquamonon(spelling?) river musky!
Thank you. The Two Hearted and Yellow Dog are 2 of my favorites.