The North American Fly Fishing Forum
Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

View Poll Results: When fishing small streams, do you prefer to...
fish upstream 16 72.73%
fish downstream 6 27.27%
Voters: 22. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-18-2010, 03:00 PM

axle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud ofaxle27 has much to be proud of
Default Small streams

I usually fish down stream, staying far back from hole I'm fishing. My friend always fishing upstream, but I believe that one could be throwing the line over their heads and spooking them.
Old 06-18-2010, 03:53 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Small streams

I cast upstream but usually let it drift by me downstream. I figure, cover as much water as possible.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 06-18-2010, 04:03 PM

cattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to allcattech89 is a name known to all

Well, fishing upstream is what i prefer if possible, but that is the way I was taught. I was always told that if you fish downstream you cause aggregate to drift down which will spook the trout more than a carefully placed line. The trout in turn will drift downstream which will alert other trout and it just snowballs. I was also taught that when fishing upstream try to cover the stream a few feet at a time from side to side. That way you reach trout one at a time instead of fishing across the stream and alerting the entire spot. Of course this is all in theory. Im no expert. Ive caught fish both ways, but more so when heading upstream.
Theres my two cents..........

It's not what I catch when I'm fishing, it's what I lose that matters to me...
----------------------------------------
Good decisions come from experience...Experience comes from bad decisions...
Old 06-18-2010, 07:23 PM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough

All I fish is small water and all I do is fish upstream. Although the chance of lining the fish is there, it's small. What you do is work your way up from the very tail end of the pool not just cast all the way to the head. It also gives you the most natural drift possible. I typically fish small water with a 7x 9'-13' leader. The problem I see with fishing downstream towards skittish wild trout is they can see you. They are genetically wired to look upstream because that's where the current and food comes from, and if you're standing upstream from them odds are is they're going to see you.
Old 06-18-2010, 08:25 PM

wonderfulremark is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzenangler View Post
All I fish is small water and all I do is fish upstream. Although the chance of lining the fish is there, it's small. What you do is work your way up from the very tail end of the pool not just cast all the way to the head. It also gives you the most natural drift possible.

This is what I was taught by my friend

and it works like charm!!
Old 06-18-2010, 08:31 PM

ant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to beholdant is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by franzenangler View Post
if you're standing upstream from them odds are is they're going to see you.
Just use camouflage waders.
FlyFishinado - My Fly Fishing Blog
Old 06-18-2010, 08:56 PM

franzenangler will become famous soon enoughfranzenangler will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by wonderfulremark View Post
This is what I was taught by my friend

and it works like charm!!
That it does, great minds fish alike

Quote:
Originally Posted by ant View Post
Just use camouflage waders.
Hmmm I'm sure Team Realtree makes a pair.... I might have to look into that haha
Old 06-18-2010, 10:46 PM

FrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond reputeFrankB2 has a reputation beyond repute

I fish upstream 99% of the time, but will allow a dry or nymph to float downstream if it looks like a better choice. I've caught trout drifting downstream, but need a good reason to do so.

Valley Creek (Valley Forge, PA) is a stream that I didn't fish very often, but
used a downstream drift on sometimes. The fish are 100% native, and see a lot of anglers. It's shallow and very narrow, and the trout see you coming from a mile away. The only time I was able to catch one of these trout was floating a CDC caddis downstream on a very long and light leader. You really need to be there to see the frustration level among fly anglers!

The problem with a downstream drift is pulling the fly out of the fish's mouth.
It requires a lighter touch, and a millisecond longer before setting the hook.
Old 06-19-2010, 02:50 AM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

What if I do both, I go down with streamers and up with dries?

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 06-19-2010, 09:42 AM

MoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond reputeMoscaPescador has a reputation beyond repute

Like Ard, I fish both directions. This is all dependent on the type of presentation that I am trying to acheive or the situation that I am in.

For dry flies, my presentation is mostly upstream. But if fish are actively rising within range of me downstream, I will not start stepping around to get downstream of them. I'll make a cast and control my drift as best as I can.

Streamers are fished in both directions. I will fish downstream for the swing. I will cast upstream, so I make an escaping baitfish presentation by doing fast strips.

MP