The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-06-2011, 02:14 PM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light
Default The madness continues

This night thing is the way to go. Made the trek again last night after we picked up some guys at lamberts, home of the throwed roll.

The fishing started and stayed hot. Hot fly was anything with rabbit or pine squirrell, sizes ten to eight. Brown, black, and olive were the ticket.

Four of us picked up one trout shy of fifty, twelve to myself. Of those betwen all of us we had seven go 20-22 inches. One of which I caught and was a new PR for myself.

Hilight of the night though wasn't from a caught fish. Walking across a flat me and my buddy Andy saw a fish just hanging in some slack water that we about stepped on, a brown that was an honest 26 incher guessing on thevlow side. HUGE. I'm ready for the fall run.
Old 08-06-2011, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: The madness continues

Sounds like you're into this deep.

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-07-2011, 12:00 AM

lancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of lightlancer09 is a glorious beacon of light

Ard,

You have no idea. It's the cats pajamas.
Old 08-07-2011, 10:25 PM

kevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the roughkevthebassman is a jewel in the rough

Where was ya fishin? If you don't mind me asking.
Old 08-08-2011, 01:07 PM

To keep from cluttering the boards with reports, I'm going to just continue this thread for the future.

Kev, PM on the way, While I don't usually have a problem telling people where I fish without getting to specific, with this post it probably wouldn't be a wise idea.

Bummed a ride down with a buddy again last night and when we get to the parking lot the water was still up so we had to wait for it to go down. We picked a few up here and there on pine squirrel streamers and olive mohair/dubbing loop leeches. Finally the water dropped and we moved down river a bit and I picked up a couple more.

Fishing was slow so we got out and walked back up to where we had been first having some luck. We were picking up a few here and there when my buddy stuck something really good.

The fish took him into his backing twice, on his 9 ft. 5wt. TFO pro. this thing was all over the place and There I go chasing it like a doofus with a net... that was no where near big enough. Finally it looks like it is getting tired and i swoop the net down to scoop it up... big mistake. This thing just got mad made another tear into my buddies backing... between my legs. Now i'm tripping all over the place trying to not break this guys fish off. He battles it back in again and I finally get it's head in the net.. I repeat, JUST the head. I got it out and bear hugged that fish and was no way letting go. We get up to the bank and it is the absolute biggest brown that I have ever seen in person.
Of course neither of us has a camera so we snap a few pictures with our phones and mark where it's length was on my rod. Revive the fish and she is on her way.

We catch a few more fish and call it a night. I finished with 8 and he hauled in 15 or so, we were nymph fishing with streamers adn he is a significantly better nymph fisherman than I am, But I picked up more on the streamers and swinging.

Get to the truck, and measure out hwo long the fish was... a full 30 inches and fat. If i had to gess a weight I would have put this brown at 10 or 11 pounds and healthy. She was just a massive fish. I am definitely going to be heading back agian sooner than later.
Old 08-08-2011, 03:32 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Sounds like quite a fun time Lancer! I bet doing the jig over the line was nerve-wracking! Any good phone cam photos?

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-08-2011, 03:45 PM

Rip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond reputeRip Tide has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Re: The madness continues

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancer09 View Post
..... after we picked up some guys at lamberts, home of the throwed roll.
I'm not understanding the attraction of "throwed rolls"
I saw a segment on Lamberts on TV and it looks to me to be the beginning of a polite food fight

Click the image to open in full size.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:35 PM

Rip, It's absolutely delicious with some of the best rolls ever. Plus it's fun to catch food. They have a designated "roll thrower" no one else is chucking them around. But i wont say that i signaled for one and then "accidentally" missed it and let it hit the person sitting next to me.

Gator: I got two and my buddy has one. I'll try and post them when he gets them up loaded because I sent them to him. They are grainy and not of good quality but they show a littel bit about how big this fish was.
Old 08-08-2011, 04:40 PM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

I very much understand the lack of quality in cell-phone cameras, still looking to see the photos of the monster!

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-08-2011, 04:51 PM

Click the image to open in full size.

There are two more from my phone that I sent to him to upload. This is probably the worst of the three but you can get a feel for the size of this thing. Took an olive mohair leech, in the bottom jaw you can see where someone foul hooked it, we couldn't get it out though.