The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-08-2011, 05:30 PM

two_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of lighttwo_nymph_rig is a glorious beacon of light
Default Best/Worst Fighting Trout

Just curious as to what everyone things is the best and the worst fighting trout.

I think for their powerful runs, and leaping ability, a rainbow in a larger river gets my vote for best fighting

After catching 4 lakers this past weekend, they for sure get my vote for the worst fighting trout, it was just like pulling in dead weight, no runs or anything. I was a little disappointed in their fight
Old 08-08-2011, 05:47 PM

vatroutbumintx is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Best/Worst Fighting Trout

Browns get my vote in VA. They will "death roll" like a crocodile and it can be a bit chaotic landing a big one.

---------- Post added at 05:47 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:46 PM ----------

Browns get my vote as best, that is.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:41 PM

Krebster is on a distinguished road

Tiger trout get my vote for the best fighting.
Old 08-08-2011, 09:07 PM

madjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud ofmadjoni has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to madjoni

Brown is good fighter,no doubt but hard to admit rainbow is stronger...and we have one native trout that is stronger than rainbow and that is Czar of salmonides ,one and unique Marble trout
Old 08-09-2011, 04:09 AM

sartana is on a distinguished road

Best by far Kamloops or Blackwater worst lower mainland/ Vancouvers dump and catch.
Old 08-09-2011, 05:33 AM

gatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud ofgatortransplant has much to be proud of

Mladen, those marble trout are pretty fish, and their waters look gorgeous too! Maybe there's a trip to Montenegro in my future...

Working out a way to convince my university to allow me to hold my TA office hours on the nearby creek...
Old 08-09-2011, 07:33 AM

yatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud ofyatahey has much to be proud of

Kamloops for sure the hardest fighter, although they are actually a rainbow. Only trout ever to take me into my backing, twice.
Hate to say it cause I love them so much but cutthroat are the weakest.

Yat's Blog: http://pleinaircolorado.blogspot.com/
Old 08-09-2011, 07:51 AM

cpiercem is just really nicecpiercem is just really nicecpiercem is just really nicecpiercem is just really nicecpiercem is just really nice

On a regular basis I would say the Kamloops strain of rainbows are the most fun because of their spectacular jumps and runs.

But some of that still depends on water temperature. As the reservoirs here warm up the fight goes down. I don't want to tire them when it is warmer, so I go more after bass and panfish then, or mountain trout!

I have had cutts in cold high lakes that pound for pound have fought just as hard or harder than bows. They just aren't as aerial about it. They will run or dive for the bottom and try and foul the line instead of jump most of the time.

Then for beauty, willingness, and feisty grabs there are the brookies. For their size they are a lot of fun!

But none beat a sea run cutt!

I like them all!!!
Old 08-09-2011, 09:34 AM

dhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to beholddhayden is a splendid one to behold

Rainbow for sure. Although, I like catching browns more.

And if you're going to count sea run.. Steelhead are rainbow trout.. I think that would make them the winner anywhere. A 15+ pound chromer can be awesome
Old 08-14-2011, 05:54 PM

FlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enoughFlyFlinger2421 will become famous soon enough

Wild rainbow is the flashiest, Brown is the best at getting off, so which of those two is the best fighter? Depends on if you are above the water or below! Oh, and undoubtedly the worst fighting trout is the hatchery rainbow or the larger rainbows in the San Juan that have been caught 3 or 4 times before!