The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-11-2011, 11:24 AM
Administrator

Frank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond reputeFrank Whiton has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Skype™ to Frank Whiton
Default Re: Is there an AA group for this......

Hi mrl0004,

You are not posting your pictures correctly. Here is a link to a FAQ that tells you how to post pictures.

Frank
Old 08-11-2011, 12:03 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

Pictures are fixed. I know how to do it, it just wasn't working. I figured out the problem though.....I was using the PC in the lab, came back to my office and used the Mac, everything worked!

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 08-11-2011, 12:21 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrl0004 View Post
Ard, are you from these parts or did you just make a visit. I have done some fishing the TN tailwaters close to me, but have yet to try north GA and NC. They are both on the wishlist, but it's still a 4-5 hr drive for me. For me to spend that kind of money on gas right now and get skunked, I would hate it. So I usually like to travel to unfamiliar territory with someone who isn't! I am hoping to get up in the Smoky Mtn National Park in the next week or two with a friend and chase some brookies. Never caught one of those jewels.
I lived down in Newnan GA. for 2 years, Newnan is about 30 miles south of Atlanta off 85. When I figured out that North Georgia was packed with big mountains and creeks I took a recon using my motorcycle. Then I started going up using my 4X4 and camping. Of all the places I have hiked and camped the Cohutta is among my finest memories. Not much different from the Smokies except there are very few people out there.

I packed in to a large creek in the Ravens Cliffs W.A. that was beautiful and although I was not close enough to the headwaters to find brookies I caught a bunch of Red Eye, (know what they are?) Some were pretty good size and they were after the streamers and made for a couple great days. I purchased topographical maps and studied from home. By the second trip I had done all the orienteering before I even went up and had my points for embarkation and coordinates written down. This makes it pretty foolproof for travel in areas like this, you can leave the trails and cut strait lines of travel to pre determined way-points with no worry. I believe you'll see more critters by traveling away from the trails also.

The entire area is something you don't want to miss, I enjoyed it more than Smoky Mtn. Park by ten fold. The streams are further apart and you gotta hoof it to find the honey holes but I was alone out there. The years were 1991 - 1992. It's a wilderness area so I doubt that much has changed. Plan on camping, keep it simple and stay a few days. by doing this you will make the most out of your gas money. I had to come from south of Atlanta so I always stayed.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 08-11-2011, 01:42 PM

mrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to beholdmrl0004 is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardyreels View Post
I lived down in Newnan GA. for 2 years, Newnan is about 30 miles south of Atlanta off 85. When I figured out that North Georgia was packed with big mountains and creeks I took a recon using my motorcycle. Then I started going up using my 4X4 and camping. Of all the places I have hiked and camped the Cohutta is among my finest memories. Not much different from the Smokies except there are very few people out there.

I packed in to a large creek in the Ravens Cliffs W.A. that was beautiful and although I was not close enough to the headwaters to find brookies I caught a bunch of Red Eye, (know what they are?) Some were pretty good size and they were after the streamers and made for a couple great days. I purchased topographical maps and studied from home. By the second trip I had done all the orienteering before I even went up and had my points for embarkation and coordinates written down. This makes it pretty foolproof for travel in areas like this, you can leave the trails and cut strait lines of travel to pre determined way-points with no worry. I believe you'll see more critters by traveling away from the trails also.

The entire area is something you don't want to miss, I enjoyed it more than Smoky Mtn. Park by ten fold. The streams are further apart and you gotta hoof it to find the honey holes but I was alone out there. The years were 1991 - 1992. It's a wilderness area so I doubt that much has changed. Plan on camping, keep it simple and stay a few days. by doing this you will make the most out of your gas money. I had to come from south of Atlanta so I always stayed.

Ard
I have heard of the elusive red eye, but I haven't ever caught one. They are like redneck brook trout to a lot of people down here. I suppose I will get after them one day. Right now there are too many smallies and trout that need catching by me! I will def. start looking into the GA thing though. Might PM you with questions. Thanks for all the advice!
Matt

"Chance favors the well prepared mind." - Louis Pasteur
Old 08-11-2011, 01:48 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels

The mail box is always open Matt, sometime it may take a while to hear back but I will answer.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;