The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-13-2011, 12:29 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough
Default fishing near private land?

so tomorrow im going to do some exploring. ive been told the creek im going to has tons of private land and i need to be careful. i have never fished a place where there is private property that i need to watch out for. how is it usually marked? barbed fence all the way to the bed of the river? "private property keep off" signs everywhere? what if neither of those are there and i walk onto someones land and they shoot me? (i doubt that will happen). i just dont want to get ticketed or into any kind of trouble. im a good kid but it happends way more than it should.

im going to park at a trail head, the trail goes downstream and i will be going upstream so i may run into some private property. just scared
Old 08-13-2011, 12:41 PM

silver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond reputesilver creek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: fishing near private land?

"What does the law prohibit?

The new law does not allow recreational water users (including anglers, kayakers, tubers, hunters and others) to walk on the private bed of a public waterbody. This means that if you are fishing or recreating in public water that flows over private property closed to trespass, you may not walk on the land beneath the water without obtaining landowner permission.

Landowners close their property to trespass by posting a notice or otherwise communicating that access is prohibited. Irrigated pastures, cultivated lands and certain fenced areas are presumed closed to trespass. To review Utah's trespass laws, see Utah Code Sections 23-20-14, 76-6-206 and 76-6-206.3.

You do not need permission to: Fish on private property that is not closed to trespass."

Recreational access to Utah waters on private land

Sounds like you need to get landowner permission to fish any private waters that are posted.

Silver

"Discovery consists of seeing what everybody has seen and thinking what nobody has thought"..........Szent-Gyorgy
Old 08-13-2011, 12:44 PM

TexUte Fly will become famous soon enoughTexUte Fly will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver creek View Post

Sounds like you need to get landowner permission to fish any private waters that are posted.
but what that says if its not posted "keep off" then im allowed on correct? if thats the case ill just keep going till i find one and then turn around and call it a day as i fish downstream.
Old 08-13-2011, 02:28 PM

jaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond reputejaybo41 has a reputation beyond repute

It's definately good to be familiar with the rules & regulations of your state, and I don't know squat about fishing in Utah! LOL I have however found this to be a good approach no matter where you are fishing.

If it's posted or if you in doubt, you can either avoid the water all together, or ask for permission. Landowners generally appreciate the respect you have shown them and will more often than not allow you access on their land. If they turn you down, then you know to strike it off of your list.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:16 PM

rockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nicerockriver is just really nice

A fence means closed usually and this might mean only a single wire.
Old 08-13-2011, 04:35 PM

well i guess ill just go out there and hope that if i run into private property a fence or a sign thats not behind a bush is up and i dont just blindly walk onto someones land and get in trouble.
i think its bs that somene can own the land under public water. back home i cant own land out into the bay so that no one can go there. i own the land and where the water starts thats where my property ends. and if the city is nice enough they will allow me to build a dock out into the water.
if i dont post a report tomorrow just know i got into some kind of trouble
Old 08-13-2011, 06:25 PM

mojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant futuremojo has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexUte Fly View Post
well i guess ill just go out there and hope that if i run into private property a fence or a sign thats not behind a bush is up and i dont just blindly walk onto someones land and get in trouble.
i think its bs that somene can own the land under public water. back home i cant own land out into the bay so that no one can go there. i own the land and where the water starts thats where my property ends. and if the city is nice enough they will allow me to build a dock out into the water.
if i dont post a report tomorrow just know i got into some kind of trouble
The lawsuit(s) are in the works and have been filed as we speak. And, if for any reason you get busted or hasseled or harrassed, let me know what waters and where exactly. Chances are nothing going to happen, but you never know.
Old 08-13-2011, 07:38 PM

ncflyboy will become famous soon enoughncflyboy will become famous soon enough
Smile Re: fishing near private land?

Tex,

When in doubt, get permission to fish "questionable" places...private lands may not necessarily be marked with signs or fences.

Cheers,

Robert
Old 08-14-2011, 02:59 PM

billydafish is on a distinguished road

Solid advice... not sure what the worst is that could happen but I'd bet you'd lose your rod and get a fine.