The North American Fly Fishing Forum

Go Back   The North American Fly Fishing Forum > General Fly Fishing Discussion > Coldwater Fly Fishing

Coldwater Fly Fishing Trout, Salmon, Steelhead, etc...

Like Tree170Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-10-2013, 02:15 PM
Administrator

Hardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond reputeHardyreels has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via Yahoo to Hardyreels Send a message via Skype™ to Hardyreels
Default Re: Other Fish than Trout Photos

These are an invasive species at the cabin and you are encouraged to kill every one caught. On a really good day you can catch a bunch of them, this trio is typical, 28 & 30" fish. Back in June and July I fished every day until I had between 3 - 6 of them and then took them up one of the nearby creeks to where there is an eagle's nest. The eagles had 2 young ones in the nest and I would leave the fish right across the creek from the nest tree. It only took a few days before the 2 adults would come flying from far and wide when they heard my boat coming upstream. They would land in the nest tree and watch as I put the pike on shore and leave. if you stole a glance over your shoulder while navigating the narrow channel as you left you got to see one of the adults swoop down to the stash.

It made me feel better about killing the fish, now we can some from each trip. I'll feed them again if they have young ones next year but I don't think they breed every year...

Oh yeah, the fish (other than trout)
Click the image to open in full size.

Caught those on a Whitlock Sculpin There is a giant that lives just north of the cabin. This one eats ducks. I had it on 3 summers ago and lost it. This year I had a fellow from France toss a big pike fly to just the right spot and the big one went for the fly just as he stripped it. So close, maybe 4" behind the fly! We fished there for a long time but the pike would not come twice. I fish that hide every time there but have not got that fish.

Ard

Life On The Line - Alaska Fishing with Ard

The Alaska Fishing & Outdoors Blog;
Old 11-10-2013, 02:40 PM

baseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nicebaseman1 is just really nice

We have a cousin of theirs here called the Muskie and although it is invasive some smart ass decided to give it sport fish status so you can't mass kill them.
Hardyreels likes this.

“Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger.” – Herbert Hoover
Old 11-10-2013, 02:50 PM

von behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud ofvon behr has much to be proud of

Rocketbomb,

I've never seen trout with that coloring or spot pattern before. Those are beautiful fish. They almost look like a hybrid between a brown and a cutthroat.

Great catch!

-VB
mcnerney and baseman1 like this.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:56 AM

buddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the roughbuddhist_palm is a jewel in the rough

one from the weekend. love when you switch colors and they hit on the first drift

oddly enough, i also had one hit my indicator on the surface a few casts later

hmmm, dry fly salmon?
Old 11-11-2013, 10:02 AM

cochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud ofcochise has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerney View Post
While fishing this past week I landed a couple firsts for me on a fly rod, a walleye and a mirror carp:
Caught this guy on a 5 wt rod, the inside dimension on the net is just over 20 inches:

Larry
That looks like MM bounty.
mcnerney likes this.
Old 04-01-2014, 10:00 PM

superseal110 is on a distinguished road

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.

---------- Post added at 09:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:54 PM ----------

Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size. Click the image to open in full size.
Old 05-04-2014, 11:50 PM

argail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to allargail is a name known to all

I think you'll like the picture art

mcnerney and baseman1 like this.
Old 05-05-2014, 01:50 AM

oldskewl808 is on a distinguished road

Click the image to open in full size. Bone.

---------- Post added at 12:50 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:41 AM ----------

Ooops, sorry, just noticed this was cold water forum. I'm not even close.
mcnerney and Joey Bagels like this.
Old 05-05-2014, 06:10 PM

smoothie will become famous soon enough

Kanektock River, Alaska

Sockeye

King

Grayling

Dolly Varden

Striper (Lake Powell)...my son's first bass!

Joni, mcnerney, baseman1 and 1 others like this.
Old 05-23-2014, 02:28 PM

itchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to beholditchmesir is a splendid one to behold

Shorthead Redhorse

mcnerney and argail like this.